Nina Halperin
Nina Halperin  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 28, 2021

Hello,

I had a couple of questions regarding rates for transcriptions, use of time stamps and translation of the transcribed text. A new client has contacted me regarding possible future projects involving transcribing Spanish audios and then translating the transcription into English. I had posted a forum several years back inquiring about transcription/translation rates for a project that didn't end up panning out, and haven't pursued this line of work since; I subsequently forgot
... See more
Hello,

I had a couple of questions regarding rates for transcriptions, use of time stamps and translation of the transcribed text. A new client has contacted me regarding possible future projects involving transcribing Spanish audios and then translating the transcription into English. I had posted a forum several years back inquiring about transcription/translation rates for a project that didn't end up panning out, and haven't pursued this line of work since; I subsequently forgot I had posted that forum. I ended up quoting a very low rate for the transcription element: only $2/audio minute (when looking back at my previous post, I saw that $5-$10/audio minute was recommended just for the transcription element). Does it make sense to go back and say to the client that I was doing some further research about transcription rates and realized that I was severely undercutting myself in that area?

My second question has to do with charging for the translation component. Just say I charge $5/audio minute for the transcription element; then I would just charge my typical rate per source word to subsequently translate the Spanish transcription into English? I was also wondering how the per word rate works with a transcription, as there are additional words added into the transcription that weren't part of the audio, such as the name of each speaker before each spoken segment, notations when parts of the audio are inaudible and potentially time stamps. Are all of those words in the transcription counted as words when considering the source word count to be translated? Since I haven't yet used transcription software, I'm not sure if that software generates a word count that subtracts the words I mentioned.

Third, how much extra should be added on to the transcription rate per audio minute if time stamps are requested?

Thank you so much for the help!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription/time stamp/translation rates

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »