Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Poll: When did you learn to use a computer? Name the OS and Software.
Автор темы: ProZ.com Staff
M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Local time: 12:58
английский => польский
1998 Sep 3, 2008

It was PC with Windows 95. I won't name software, as it's too many!!

Six years later I happily dropped Windows, switched to Linux and use this OS until today. Again - won't name software, as there are too many programs I use and know how to use.

Anni

invguy
invguy  Identity Verified
Болгария
Local time: 14:58
английский => болгарский
1984 (nothing to do with Orwell in this case ;) Sep 3, 2008

1984 was the year when I put my department chief to a one-week total siege - until I squeezed out of him a recommendation to the general manager to send me to a computer basics course.

The first machine I worked on was in the office, of course - I couldn't afford one, at that time they cost about 2/3 of the price of a new car. It was Pravets 82, an Apple II clone (they were making tho
... See more
1984 was the year when I put my department chief to a one-week total siege - until I squeezed out of him a recommendation to the general manager to send me to a computer basics course.

The first machine I worked on was in the office, of course - I couldn't afford one, at that time they cost about 2/3 of the price of a new car. It was Pravets 82, an Apple II clone (they were making those in Bulgaria) http://www.ittechnews.com/2008/01/82.html :

8-bit, Motorola 6502 CPU @1 (one) MHz
48kB RAM (later extended it to 64k by a funny plug-on PCB)
two external 5.25" floppy drives - one for the OS, the other one for the application/s
SS/SD (single side/single density) 144kB floppy disks
and a black screen with those poisonously green letters... but I didn't mind it then.

The OS was DOS 3.1 (I think). The first printer was a huge daisywheel one, local make; later they bought a 9-pin matrix Epson FX compatible.

BTW this thingy had quite a number of applications - including a word processor, a couple of engineering calculation proggies and a few graphics ones. I particularly liked the one called Apple Surface, for visualising complex surfaces: when you entered the equations, it would draw the surface on screen through lines or dots - painfully slowly, of course.

My first personal one (1991) was home-made. Being more into the mechanical side, I only made the box and installed the power supply; a friend who was an electronics engineer assembled it for me, I was only helping and fidgeting nervously when something went wrong

16-bit IBM PC XT compatible
Intel 8088 CPU "overclocked" to 6 (instead of the standard 4.77) MHz
w/ 8087 math coprocessor
640kB RAM
Seagate ST225 20MB HDD
128kB video card
EGA color monitor 640x350 pix

That one served me for nearly 3 years; on it I learned to use DTP systems (Ventura ver. 1.02).

Etc, etc, etc.

It's interesting to think that now the memory of a common video card is 12+ times the size of my hard drive in 1991 - and there are still such things as "a slow computer" and "insufficient memory". Go figure...

P.S. While we're on that: http://media.snimka.bg/0554/007362375-big.jpg
I recently found a bunch in an old box - pretty good for writing notes on the back
Collapse

Tsogt Gombosuren
Tsogt Gombosuren  Identity Verified
Канада
Local time: 05:58
Член ProZ.com c 2004
английский => монгольский
+ ...
1986 and Pravets 82 (Bulgarian made) Sep 3, 2008

When I was a high school student, I went to a computing circle (a kind of after-school activity) for high school students at a youth organization. The computers for the circle (I think there were a dozen of them) were donated by Bulgaria to Mongolia. Thus, I became one of the first people in Mongolia to work on a desktop computer then. The OS was DOS.

I think all other specifications of the computer were the same as i
... See more
When I was a high school student, I went to a computing circle (a kind of after-school activity) for high school students at a youth organization. The computers for the circle (I think there were a dozen of them) were donated by Bulgaria to Mongolia. Thus, I became one of the first people in Mongolia to work on a desktop computer then. The OS was DOS.

I think all other specifications of the computer were the same as invguy's first computer.

[Edited at 2008-09-03 01:33]

[Edited at 2008-09-03 02:07]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Перу
Local time: 06:58
Член ProZ.com
испанский
+ ...
Apple IIe Sep 3, 2008

It was an already outdated Apple IIe in the late 80s. I was 8 or 9 years old and I learned to "read" and "play" with the program's codes, so I could modify and write new ones. The computer was in my bedroom so I spent a lot of time "geeking out". Of course those codes were very simple but I guess that was the beginning of my fascination with the encoding and decoding processes.

[Edited at 2008-09-03 01:51]

Michael and Raimunda Poe
Michael and Raimunda Poe  Identity Verified
Бразилия
Local time: 08:58
английский => португальский
+ ...
IBM Sep 3, 2008

The first one I got to use used cassette tapes and was an IBM, I think. The first one that I owned use DOS and was a Tandy 1000TL. Kings Quest was really cool back then not to mention Space Quest.

Mami Yamaguchi
Mami Yamaguchi  Identity Verified
Япония
Local time: 20:58
Член ProZ.com c 2008
английский => японский
+ ...
my first computer.FM-V FFUJITU Sep 3, 2008

I do remember OS was Windows 3.1.. Some game softwares were installed and engaged them in play most of the night one day. I thought this could go on forever,So I uninstalled them all.

[2008-09-03 02:17に編集されました]

Timothy Miller
Timothy Miller
Local time: 20:58
японский => английский
APPLE IIe! Sep 3, 2008

The good ole black screen with green text. I grew up on that thing! My dad bought it, and I started using it when I was really little. I remember playing the Sesame Street game and adoring it! We had that computer for ages, and a dot-matrix printer. Didn't update until I was in HIGH SCHOOL. So I do love my Apple IIe childhood memories!

Ahmed Dahman
Ahmed Dahman  Identity Verified
Египет
английский => арабский
+ ...
Yamaha AX-170 Sep 3, 2008

I think it was in the 80s when I had my first Yamaha AX-170 computer with a cartridge
After that, I have updated my machine adding a cassette player and just looking to it while loading was enough to make it freeze and stop working. It was just one year later when I bought my first floppy disc and was able to load my games in just 30 seconds.
1997 was the year when I got my Super Genius PC (Pentium 1) with a CPU speed
... See more
I think it was in the 80s when I had my first Yamaha AX-170 computer with a cartridge
After that, I have updated my machine adding a cassette player and just looking to it while loading was enough to make it freeze and stop working. It was just one year later when I bought my first floppy disc and was able to load my games in just 30 seconds.
1997 was the year when I got my Super Genius PC (Pentium 1) with a CPU speed 75 MHz, 1.6 GB Hard Drive, 4 MB RAM, 2 MB VRAM and a super 6X CD. The Operating System was Windows 95. I remember that there was a video clip on the Windows CD for a song called "spare times".
Collapse

Nicolette Scholte (X)
Nicolette Scholte (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
английский => голландский
+ ...
School computer (1992) Sep 3, 2008

We first had a computer in class when I was about 10 years old, I'm not sure what make it was or what OS it had, I believe it was one of the earlier versions of Windows.
We were allowed to play educational games on it, after we had finished all our tasks in the afternoon.

I always remembered one of these particular "educational games": there was a little man in a house and you had to get him through the day with as little as possible electric energy waste (ie. close the door w
... See more
We first had a computer in class when I was about 10 years old, I'm not sure what make it was or what OS it had, I believe it was one of the earlier versions of Windows.
We were allowed to play educational games on it, after we had finished all our tasks in the afternoon.

I always remembered one of these particular "educational games": there was a little man in a house and you had to get him through the day with as little as possible electric energy waste (ie. close the door when you heat the room, recycle your glass and paper, turn off the light when you go out of a room, etc). I always used to love that game, and was gutted when I couldn't find it anymore.

Well, fast forward to earlier this year, I found it and ran it in DOS. It was boring! It wasn't nearly as fun as I remembered.

The first time I went on the internet was a couple of years later, in 1995 or around that time. My aunt used to work on a university, and she took me to her work on a quiet day. She would let me play with her computer, and I could surf the internet. Loved it!
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 04:58
Член ProZ.com c 2003
испанский => английский
+ ...
1979 - Wang word processor Sep 3, 2008

Our office got Wang word processors in late 1979. I immersed myself in this wonderful tool - Oh the joy of not having to retype pages when changes were made!! Indeed, in 1982 I paid about $8 K for a state-of-the-art Wang system to have at home, which filled my guest room and lasted for 12 years. In 1988 our office shifted to PCs running WordPerfect. Wang gad been easier to use, and therefore faster, than Word Perfect, and I kicked and screamed but eventually got used to it. The office switched t... See more
Our office got Wang word processors in late 1979. I immersed myself in this wonderful tool - Oh the joy of not having to retype pages when changes were made!! Indeed, in 1982 I paid about $8 K for a state-of-the-art Wang system to have at home, which filled my guest room and lasted for 12 years. In 1988 our office shifted to PCs running WordPerfect. Wang gad been easier to use, and therefore faster, than Word Perfect, and I kicked and screamed but eventually got used to it. The office switched to MS Word in 1991, which was slower and more cumbersome than WordPerfect. More kicking and screaming. I suppose Word has improved, but keyboard-driven macros remain much faster than taking one's hands off the keyboard to mess with the mouse.

I signed up for CompuServe in 1994 and got an ISP two years later.

[Edited at 2008-09-03 04:58]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Испания
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => испанский
+ ...
No life over 65,536 feet Sep 3, 2008

Nicolette Scholte wrote:
I always remembered one of these particular "educational games": there was a little man in a house and you had to get him through the day with as little as possible electric energy waste (ie. close the door when you heat the room, recycle your glass and paper, turn off the light when you go out of a room, etc). I always used to love that game, and was gutted when I couldn't find it anymore.

Oh my goodness. Sounds great. I remember my favourite game on my Amstrad: a flight simulator (can't remember the name). The plane (there was only one) was a fighter, and I loved to make it take off and land all the time. The representation of the ground in my monochrome screen was simple lines and patches of empty, patterned, or solid surfaces.

When I felt adventurous, I made the plane fly higher, and higher, and higher until I reached 65.536 feet, the maximum altitude (65536 = 2^16; everything had some relation to powers of 2 in that time) and occasionally dived it to crash it against the ground with a big noise. Do I need a shrink?

[Edited at 2008-09-03 05:08]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Испания
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => испанский
+ ...
Lemmings anyone? Sep 3, 2008

(I promise I also used the computer to learn things; and in fact I was a programmer for many years before entering localisation and translation 15 years ago)

Did any of you play with Lemmings? A great game. I was always sorry for the little guys being sacrificed by explosion to make holes for the rest of the group. It was mean.

I reckon that a big, early localisation challenge in the world of user interfaces would have been to localise the Pause icon in the primitive t
... See more
(I promise I also used the computer to learn things; and in fact I was a programmer for many years before entering localisation and translation 15 years ago)

Did any of you play with Lemmings? A great game. I was always sorry for the little guys being sacrificed by explosion to make holes for the rest of the group. It was mean.

I reckon that a big, early localisation challenge in the world of user interfaces would have been to localise the Pause icon in the primitive toolbar: It depicted paws. How can you translate "paws/pause" without changing the image?

[Edited at 2008-09-03 05:18]
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
США
Член ProZ.com c 2003
английский => итальянский
+ ...
I'm still missing FLEFO Sep 3, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

I am curious: How many of you had a CompuServe account before an Internet account?

I, for one, still miss the FLEFO forum on Compuserve. In particular every time I see the KudoZ system and think how much better FLEFO was, in that respect, at least.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
США
Член ProZ.com c 2003
английский => итальянский
+ ...
A link for all those with nostalgia for the software of olden times... Sep 3, 2008

You can download a legal and working copy of VisiCalc (the program that more than any other decreed the success of the early personal computers) from this page.

Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Финляндия
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => финский
+ ...
Spectrum, me too Sep 3, 2008

Catherine Knight wrote:

Like Richard, my first experience of a computer was the ZX spectrum. I used to love the games we had for that - there was a simplicity about them that I prefer, in some ways, to today's more realistic graphics.

It was somewhere back in 80s. I later changed to C64, never went for VIC... I was not very interested on the graphical games those days, the graphics were bad anyway, but I loved the classic, text-only adventure games; I even programmed one (the story never became ready, but otherwise the game was fully playable). Programming was always more interesting than playing

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When did you learn to use a computer? Name the OS and Software.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »