A témához tartozó oldalak:   [1 2] >
Poll: Should a linguist stick to quality or deadline?
Téma indítója: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
MUNKATÁRS
Mar 18, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Should a linguist stick to quality or deadline?".

View the poll results »

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
Local time: 19:48
ProZ.com-tag
angol - francia
Deadline Mar 18, 2016

Letting the customer know that quality will suffer from insufficient lead time.

A customer who wants printed material for an event no longer needs it after the event. Either they knowingly order a sub-standard translation, or they do without the translation.

I fail to see the point of delivering a quality translation that is of no use to the customer.

Philippe

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:48
francia - angol
+ ...
Az Ő emlékére:
Both ... Mar 18, 2016

... of course. Ideally, one shouldn't accept a tight deadline if it means the quality will suffer. I know that these days "urgency" seems to be increasing but there are limits to what one person can do.

Markus Perndl
Markus Perndl
Ausztria
olasz - német
+ ...
Other... Mar 18, 2016

A translator should not accept a job, if he is not able to deliver a good quality wihin the agreed delivery date...

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Németország
francia - német
+ ...
Other Mar 18, 2016

First of all, never bite off more than you can chew.

If a deadline seems unreasonable to start with, tell the customer and let them decide if speed is more important than quality. After all, they may just need a draft for whatever reason. On the other hand they may not have realised that the given deadline is to short and might be able to extend it. In any case, it's a good idea to sort that out before accepting a job.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Wrong question Mar 18, 2016

The keyword is "should". Otherwise, the more measurable element in the contract (yes, it is a contract of sorts) is "deadline".

Consequently, the answer lies in an assumable estimate of output under aceptable conditions of quality. No one can be called a bad translator if he negotiates the deadline or calls for assistance to meet it.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 10:48
Tag (2003 óta)
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Other Mar 18, 2016

svenfrade wrote:

Deadlines must be met. Quality shouldn't suffer.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugália
Tag (2007 óta)
angol - portugál
+ ...
Other! Mar 18, 2016

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

svenfrade wrote:

Deadlines must be met. Quality shouldn't suffer.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:48
német - angol
+ ...
The question is totally wrong Mar 18, 2016

When a translator sets the deadline within which she can complete the translation, quality is already the main consideration. There can be no conflict between quality and deadline.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dánia
Tag (2003 óta)
dán - angol
+ ...
Other Mar 18, 2016

Both, of course. As they said at business school, you can't sell Christmas trees in January.
There are times when a deadline cannot be altered, and you have to do the best you can in a short time. Delivering on time is also an element of quality!

In fact, interpreters do the best they can at speed. They can't doodle about correcting and adjusting - they have to translate each sentence and move on. I can't do it myself, so I am fascinated and respectful when others can.
<
... See more
Both, of course. As they said at business school, you can't sell Christmas trees in January.
There are times when a deadline cannot be altered, and you have to do the best you can in a short time. Delivering on time is also an element of quality!

In fact, interpreters do the best they can at speed. They can't doodle about correcting and adjusting - they have to translate each sentence and move on. I can't do it myself, so I am fascinated and respectful when others can.

They prepare in advance. They read up on the subject, practise, and as far as possible have things ready before they start.
Translators can do that too. Get to know the clients, or at least the industries they work in. I look at any earlier work I have done for the client and note their terminology, and collect solutions to style issues.

When the rushed jobs job come, I can fire off a reasonably worded translation at speed. I always aim to make a usable draft of a translation at the first pass. For the 'here today and mulched tomorrow' kind of text, the quality is acceptable to good.

There are texts that need polishing and refining, and it is always good to have time to 'sleep on' a translation. In my case the results are usually better, but sometimes just different - and possibly less consistent!

Experience helps, and as others have said, you should never take on more than you can deliver. I never accept a really impossible deadline, or too many rushed jobs in succession.

If 'fast' is all the client wants, then MT is making progress!
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghána
Local time: 17:48
japán - angol
Both Mar 18, 2016

If you can't do both, don't take the job.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2009 óta)
angol - német
+ ...
Other Mar 18, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

There are times when a deadline cannot be altered, and you have to do the best you can in a short time. Delivering on time is also an element of quality! ....

If 'fast' is all the client wants, then MT is making progress!

Exactly. Even if you try to deliver the best possible quality, it won't do much good if you return the translation late. Your client (agency) might also have a tight and mandatory delivery deadline.

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Oroszországi Föderáció
Local time: 20:48
angol - orosz
+ ...
Client's needs Mar 18, 2016

In all cases linguist should stick to client's directions.
Sometimes, clients ask to compromise quality for the sake of meeting very tight deadline. However, it is up to you to accept or decline such jobs

Sara Maghini
Sara Maghini  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
angol - olasz
+ ...
Why should you choose between two fundamental elements? Mar 18, 2016

If you're a real professional, you guarantee both. Simply don't accept a job if you can't deliver it on time.

Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
francia - holland
+ ...
Both but... Mar 18, 2016

Both, but if I really have to choose I would say deadline, provided that the quality is "acceptable".

What would be best:
Acceptable quality (not a masterpiece, but correct and mostly idiomatic) and on time?
Or a masterpiece ("This translation should be nominated for an award of Best Quality Ever"), but too late?
I honestly think that a lot of us most of the time aim for "acceptable to good quality", and not for "extraordinary good quality" due to deadline restri
... See more
Both, but if I really have to choose I would say deadline, provided that the quality is "acceptable".

What would be best:
Acceptable quality (not a masterpiece, but correct and mostly idiomatic) and on time?
Or a masterpiece ("This translation should be nominated for an award of Best Quality Ever"), but too late?
I honestly think that a lot of us most of the time aim for "acceptable to good quality", and not for "extraordinary good quality" due to deadline restrictions, don't you think so?
Collapse

A témához tartozó oldalak:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Should a linguist stick to quality or deadline?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »