Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you use the Pomodoro Technique to manage your time?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 28, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use the Pomodoro Technique to manage your time?".

This poll was originally submitted by Samuel Sebastian Holden Bramah. View the poll results »

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:47
Russian to English
No Mar 28, 2016

I prefer to use clocks personally

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:47
French to Spanish
+ ...
What's the Pomodoro Technique? Mar 28, 2016

Never heard of this technique before.

I usually don't do anything but working on the text as soon as I can, in order to meet the agreed deadline (by both parties). My motto: "Every single step is a step beyond."

BUT: I have found this and I share it, I will read it.
<
... See more
Never heard of this technique before.

I usually don't do anything but working on the text as soon as I can, in order to meet the agreed deadline (by both parties). My motto: "Every single step is a step beyond."

BUT: I have found this and I share it, I will read it.

---> http://caps.ucsd.edu/Downloads/tx_forms/koch/pomodoro_handouts/ThePomodoroTechnique_v1-3.pdf

Greetings.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What is the Pomodoro Technique? Mar 28, 2016

After having researched it I must say I’m convinced it’s just another gimmick! Experience has taught me how to manage my time and for long projects I have my own proven and tested method…

[Edited at 2016-03-28 10:59 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:47
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It looks pretty interesting Mar 28, 2016

I answered "What's the Pomodoro Technique? " - and now that I've read a little about it, I think I might try it.

I do find that sometimes I get distracted by the Internet or other events in my life, with the result that I have to stay up late to finish my daily quota. Pomodoro Technique seems to offer suggestions on how to be more focused.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Definitely a gimmick Mar 28, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

After having researched it I must say I’m convinced it’s just another gimmick! Experience has taught me how to manage my time and for long projects I have my own proven and tested method…

In my double-life consultant and translator days, both as a freelancer, I developed and taught one particular time management seminar 76 times for a consulting company. On another front, I was working with "competencies". A competency is conceived as a consistent array of knowledge, skills, and attitudes that makes someone capable of successfully achieving certain results.

To make a long story short:
- knowledge = knowing WHAT to do
- skills = knowing HOW to do "it" (= the WHAT)
- attitude = the WILL to do it properly

Time Management is unquestionably recognized as one universal competency for any professional endeavor. Other such universal competencies are, e.g. decision-making, problem-solving, planning & organizing. Just to complete the picture, exclusively managerial competences include e.g. supervision & leadership, training, coaching & counseling. Competencies exclusive to sales include, e.g. selling benefits (rather than advantages or features), and so on.

The K-S-A trio can be conceived as the three legs of a stool; if one of them fails, the seated user will fall to the ground. Each competency's relevance to a specific endeavor may be higher or lower than another, and the three K-S-A "legs" are not equally thick.

Particularly in Time Management, the Attitude leg is usually the weakest. The Pomodoro Technique provides the knowledge, as well as instructions on the skills to implement all those tools. However the paperwork involved in using and updating all those lists and forms over time is often seen as a time waster.

So anyone actually using any Time Management technique will necessarily be using something equivalent to the Pomodoro Technique in terms of Attitude, i.e. being permanently aware of what they have to do, for when, and how long that is supposed to take. The key is in the Skill of simplifying the bureaucracy required to use that Knowledge.

I must have been successful, since I haven't yet delivered any translation job late since 1973, though my method has been evolving over time in terms of simplification. Now my entire time management apparatus is a 3"x5" card folded in half, which gets replaced as often as needed. It works for me, though I'd be the first to say that it wouldn't be necessarily effective for anyone else.

There are many tips and tricks that can enhance the effectiveness of any Time Management system. I have started writing an e-book on Time Management for Freelance Translators, specifically adapting the concepts and ideas from big-time corporation courses on this subject, but as that is not a high priority for me, I guess it's stuck in Chapter 5 somewhere on my hard drive.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
One of many time management approaches Mar 28, 2016

I thought the whole poll had to do with making tomato salad or tomato sauce!

First, this pomodoro technique dates from the 1980s, and since most of us haven't heard of it, chances are it was just another faddish approach to time management.

With respect to José Henrique, there's no such thing as an unquestionably recognized method or technique. If that were the case, mankind would have accepted the theory of evolution 100 years or so ago and stopped going to chu
... See more
I thought the whole poll had to do with making tomato salad or tomato sauce!

First, this pomodoro technique dates from the 1980s, and since most of us haven't heard of it, chances are it was just another faddish approach to time management.

With respect to José Henrique, there's no such thing as an unquestionably recognized method or technique. If that were the case, mankind would have accepted the theory of evolution 100 years or so ago and stopped going to church.

For the record, the theory of evolution is based on independently corroborated evidence, not personal testimony or personal experience. Sorry for the aside.

Back to “unquestionably recognized” ideas: science tells us that electricity is made of electrons, not magical particles of energy.

In short, some time management approaches are better than others under certain situations. Anybody so inclined could learn about ten different techniques and make up her own.

As a colleague recently said: the polls are getting less relevant every day. Some human eyes to vet them, please.

[Edited at 2016-03-28 11:41 GMT]
Collapse

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 00:47
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Love to hear Mar 28, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:
and for long projects I have my own proven and tested method…

[Edited at 2016-03-28 10:59 GMT]

Teresa, I love to hear it on ProZ exchange!

I do not remember if it had name but I heard working 25 minutes and have 5 minutes break is the most efficient in general. It is just combersome to have a timer at hand for me.

[2016-03-28 11:49 GMTに編集されました]

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:47
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Only when I Mar 28, 2016

am making Italian, I use the Pomodoro Technique. And of course the Aglio/oglio combination too.

[Edited at 2016-03-28 12:14 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
On unquestionably recognized matters Mar 28, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

With respect to José Henrique, there's no such thing as an unquestionably recognized method or technique. If that were the case, mankind would have accepted the theory of evolution 100 years or so ago and stopped going to church.

Please re-read my post:
José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
Time Management is unquestionably recognized as one universal competency for any professional endeavor.

Time is the one and only necessary resource for ANY professional endeavor that is EQUALLY available to everyone.

Both you, Mario, and I, as well as any of our fellow readers, and also everyone on this planet, have the very same 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, to do whatever we choose to do with them, if anything. The better anyone uses their TIME, the more successful - by any standards - that person will be.

Money is another resource, yet quite different. Is buying lottery tickets a good use of your money? Only if you win! Meanwhile, buying a CAT tool will turn into increased profits depending on the type of work a translator does and the type of clients s/he caters to. No need to go into that. However keep in mind that the amount of money each individual has, be it for buying lottery tickets, CAT tools, or anything else, may vary sharply from one person to another.

Machines are another resource. Why would you ever buy a faster computer other than to save TIME? Otherwise you'd keep using an 8088-based PC-XT at 4.77 MHz as long as it worked.

And so on... You won't find any obviously valuable resource other than TIME that is distributed for free, in exactly the same amount to everyone, everywhere.

The general conclusion is that no matter what you do, unless you manage your time effectively to some extent, you won't be successful in doing anything.

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
Oh, yeah, I eat pomodori all the time Mar 28, 2016

Other than that, I find the idea that a modern day Frederick Taylor with a novelty timer knows when and if I should take a break better than I do totally and utterly preposterous.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Not yet Mar 28, 2016

Most of my projects are rarely urgent now, but usually I (and many others) schedule, categorize and prioritize, minimize possible distraction, and sometimes use a metronome and a glycerine hourglass to assess and pace the tempo; sometimes I listen to music, sometimes I prefer silence; sometimes I work non-stop for 45-180+ minutes, sometimes I make babysteps)

Not sure how this or that approach any better for I do as much as I feel up to, then either change topic/activity or have a br
... See more
Most of my projects are rarely urgent now, but usually I (and many others) schedule, categorize and prioritize, minimize possible distraction, and sometimes use a metronome and a glycerine hourglass to assess and pace the tempo; sometimes I listen to music, sometimes I prefer silence; sometimes I work non-stop for 45-180+ minutes, sometimes I make babysteps)

Not sure how this or that approach any better for I do as much as I feel up to, then either change topic/activity or have a break for as long as I feel like doing it, and then move on--till the project is over.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:47
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Good time management entails reducing unnecessary overheads, not adding to them Mar 28, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:
After having researched it I must say I’m convinced it’s just another gimmick! Experience has taught me how to manage my time and for long projects I have my own proven and tested method

I don't need gimmicks to help me manage my time either.

It's like all these crazy diets you hear about nowadays. What on earth is wrong with simply reducing calorie intake - aka eating less - particularly of the "loaded" foods? But no, that doesn't make enough money for anyone. So you have grapefruit diets, water diets, liquid diets, meat diets...

I shouldn't knock marketing, because it earns me my living, but it really is to blame for an awful lot of wasted time and effort just to fill someone's pockets.

Ines R.
Ines R.
Spain
Local time: 17:47
Spanish to German
+ ...
I have used another technique Mar 28, 2016

I had never heard before about the Pomodoro Technique, but what I have tried out nine years ago was the program Exactspent developed by AIT.
The outcome was that really each thing what you do and has nothing to do with your translation work is a time killer, like cooking a coffee, chatting with a friend, reading the newspaper on internet, etc.
I'm with Muriel we often get distracted this is true.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Using time wisely Mar 29, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Please re-read my post:
Time Management is unquestionably recognized as one universal competency for any professional endeavor.

Time is the one and only necessary resource for ANY professional endeavor that is EQUALLY available to everyone.

I agree on the basic premise that the same 24 hours a day are available to anyone, all things being equal. However, I have a problem with any claim that includes the phrase unquestionably recognized as it renders the opinion tautological and unassailable.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use the Pomodoro Technique to manage your time?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »