Pagina's in het onderwerp:   [1 2] >
Poll: How do you generally write all-figure dates?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
MEDEWERKER SITE
Apr 2, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you generally write all-figure dates?".

This poll was originally submitted by Sheila Wilson. View the poll results »

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spanje
Local time: 16:50
Frans naar Spaans
+ ...
Spain Apr 2, 2016

Hello,

dd/mm/yyyy or dd/mm/yy

are two of the ways to express dates in Spanish.

Full explanation in Spanish here --> http://www.fundeu.es/escribireninternet/como-se-escriben-las-fechas/

Greetings!

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italiaans naar Engels
+ ...
day - month - year Apr 2, 2016

Obviously the Americans are still asleep ...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spanje
Local time: 15:50
Lid 2007
Engels
+ ...
Clarification of intention Apr 2, 2016

I don't remenber even suggesting this poll, but then I am "of a certain age".

What isn't said, but was obviously intended, was that this refers to our own correspondence, invoices etc. In other situations, style guides, subject area constraints and client preferences may decide for us.

I for one have so many problems with the UK versus US format that I've taken to using the unambiguous YYYY-MM-DD format.
... See more
I don't remenber even suggesting this poll, but then I am "of a certain age".

What isn't said, but was obviously intended, was that this refers to our own correspondence, invoices etc. In other situations, style guides, subject area constraints and client preferences may decide for us.

I for one have so many problems with the UK versus US format that I've taken to using the unambiguous YYYY-MM-DD format. It's invaluable for my trilingual invoices, where I aim to input the variable data just once and where ambiguity could be costly. But I don't see it used very often.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lid 2007
Engels naar Portugees
+ ...
Day-month-year Apr 2, 2016

Force of habit (me too I'm "of a certain age"), that's what I always write in my native language, though I'm aware that the Portuguese Norm (NP EN 28601) and the International Norm (ISO 8601) say differently (YYYY-MM-DD)...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spanje
Lid 2007
Engels
+ ...
How about Spanish outside Spain? Apr 2, 2016

Susana E. Cano Méndez wrote:
dd/mm/yyyy or dd/mm/yy

are two of the ways to express dates in Spanish.

I'm going on my first-ever long-haul holiday next month - to Mexico. Local websites, or at least their English versions, all seem to use the American format for dates. Maybe physical proximity overrides the rules made in Madrid? Or maybe they reverse them just for the tourist market, which seems to be largely American?

And then there are those Spanish native speakers who are able to write texts directly in English. They send them to me for polishing, knowing that I'll be expecting British English (their preference, apparently), and I find that all the dates have been reversed because "that's hos it's done in English"!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denemarken
Lid 2003
Deens naar Engels
+ ...
I avoid them! Apr 2, 2016

I grew up with the dd mm yy(yy) model, but living in Scandinavia, it can be tricky.

Danes may write today's date as 2/4 2016 (2 April 2016), whic is clear enough.

I have been caught out by apparently illogical dates in Swedish - they sometimes use mm dd yy, and then it may be necessary to ask the client if I cannot find a date from the second half of the month that is unambiguous.

My default when there is space is 2 April 2016 if space allows.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
In memoriam
UK Apr 2, 2016

When translating into British English, I use the European date format - day-month-year. I'm occasionally asked to translate into American English (I have lived in the USA), in which case I use the American date format - month-day-year.
My own invoices and other documentation are dated according to the European format - day-month-year.
No-one has ever objected to this - yet ...

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 10:50
Lid
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
Year month day Apr 2, 2016

I live my personal life on both sides of the US-Canada border, and maintain constant vigilance to adapt my spelling, punctuation, and date formats to the side I am on at that particular moment.
However, I changed the way I date (and name) my own work files not long ago, so that the chronological and numerical values are consistent: yyyymmddhh (h for hour due). The advantage of this is that even if the computer program is not aware that these are dates, it will order them properly every ti
... See more
I live my personal life on both sides of the US-Canada border, and maintain constant vigilance to adapt my spelling, punctuation, and date formats to the side I am on at that particular moment.
However, I changed the way I date (and name) my own work files not long ago, so that the chronological and numerical values are consistent: yyyymmddhh (h for hour due). The advantage of this is that even if the computer program is not aware that these are dates, it will order them properly every time.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnië en Herzegovina
Lid 2009
Engels naar Kroatisch
+ ...
To avoid confusion... Apr 2, 2016

I write the Month in writing (not number), then the date as a number, and year as number:

eg. April 2, 2016.

This format is not ambiguous to anyone, while 04/02/2016 would mean February 4th in Europe (unlike USA).

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Lid 2009
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Other Apr 2, 2016

For the USA: mm/dd/yy. For all other countries: dd/mm/yy.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
American awake here! Apr 2, 2016

Alexandra Speirs wrote:

Obviously the Americans are still asleep ...

The poll missed one possible option: Both.

I write my dates both ways.

American software designers, so full of math but so little aware of their surroundings, created that little devil of the Y2K virus, which turned out to be no virus but just sheer lack of competence about how the world at large writes years: it's always 1941, not '41. In 200 years hence, '41 could be 1941, 2041 or 2141.

Thank you for reading my coffee-fueled impromptu response.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
In case of doubt, go for spelled-out dates Apr 2, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

I grew up with the dd mm yy(yy) model, but living in Scandinavia, it can be tricky.

Danes may write today's date as 2/4 2016 (2 April 2016), whic is clear enough.

I have been caught out by apparently illogical dates in Swedish - they sometimes use mm dd yy, and then it may be necessary to ask the client if I cannot find a date from the second half of the month that is unambiguous.

My default when there is space is 2 April 2016 if space allows.

That's exactly what I do in my translations!

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ierland
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
With Jessica on this Apr 2, 2016

That way, the computer files are automatically ordered.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Lid 2005
Duits naar Engels
+ ...
According to the client's preference Apr 2, 2016

Why would I choose any other format?

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you generally write all-figure dates?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »