Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 5, 2007

Hi everyone,

I used to be a ProZ.com partial member (jobs only) and my membership expired on September 15th. I've tried to renew and upgrade my membership to full member status, which I did on September 5th, just in time to upgrade before my current membership expired. I've written a letter to ProZ.com with my username, saying I had performed a bank transfer.Everything looked fine, but the money never got out of my account.
Apparently, someone has lost my bank transfer order
... See more
Hi everyone,

I used to be a ProZ.com partial member (jobs only) and my membership expired on September 15th. I've tried to renew and upgrade my membership to full member status, which I did on September 5th, just in time to upgrade before my current membership expired. I've written a letter to ProZ.com with my username, saying I had performed a bank transfer.Everything looked fine, but the money never got out of my account.
Apparently, someone has lost my bank transfer order paper at the bank, nobody warned me about it and at this time, my partial membership has expired.
I had to go to the bank about 20 days later and asked them what happened. They made up a ridiculous excuse and told me I had written the wrong BIC code. It wasn't true, because I had a receipt with the BIC code and I compared it to the one in this site. Oh, and needless to say I had to abandon my freelance work in order to solve this problem and I've lost half a day just to come back home empty handed. What bothers me the most is I did the order in time to get a discount and keep on being a member. What happened wasn't my fault at all.

My main question here is: Did I lost my discount? When I sent the letter to ProZ, the membership renewal was about 93 EUR and now it's 119.79 EUR because I'm back to being a plain user... If I do a bank transfer again, is the letter I sent on Sept 5th already acceptable? Apart from that, I only have a bank receipt in Portuguese, saying I ordered a bank transfer to be done.
I feel like writing an official complaint to my bank. They were incredibly irresponsible and didn't even care to call me and tell me there was a problem...
Anyway, I wrote an e-mail to Cathy Dotterer, one of the mods, but she didn't reply and I don't know what else to do, but to share my problem with everyone around the MB.
What can I do in a situation like this? Any ideas?

Cheers from Portugal,
Teresa

I'm sorry I had to post this topic in this mb instead of proz.com membership, for some reason I couldn't post in it.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:41
English to German
+ ...
Submit a Support Request Oct 5, 2007

Hi Teresa,

Anyway, I wrote an e-mail to Cathy Dotterer, one of the mods, but she didn't reply and I don't know what else to do, but to share my problem with everyone around the MB.

Cathy is a member of ProZ.com staff, not a moderator.
In fact, she is the right person to write to - but e-mail is not the right way: submit a Support Request, choosing "Billing/Payments" as the relevant area.

The IBAN & BIC shown for euro transfers on the site are definitely correct (I should know, as I manage the euro account on behalf of ProZ.com).

Best regards,
Ralf

Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good suggestion Oct 5, 2007

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for replying. I've just sent a support request.
I know for sure the codes are correct. Last year I used them as well, it was the same procedure. A week later I was already a partial member.
The problem is, I was harmed by the bank and all they did was tell me they were sorry. They got really nervous, they started fiddling with some papers and they couldn't find my bank transfer order in their records, so they asked my receipt, xeroxed it and then use
... See more
Hi Ralf,

Thank you for replying. I've just sent a support request.
I know for sure the codes are correct. Last year I used them as well, it was the same procedure. A week later I was already a partial member.
The problem is, I was harmed by the bank and all they did was tell me they were sorry. They got really nervous, they started fiddling with some papers and they couldn't find my bank transfer order in their records, so they asked my receipt, xeroxed it and then used that same copy of my receipt to look for the order request in their database. Then they told me the BIC code wasn't correct and I couldn't tell them otherwise, because the paper with the bank details was already on its way to the USA, so I had to come back home and check if I had written the code correctly. They almost made me doubt myself, but I deep down I knew I wasn't wrong.

I didn't send the scan image of the receipt in the support ticket, because it is not very visible, but it's the only evidence I have in order to prove that I didn't mess up.

I really hope the support ticket helps!
Thanks for reading this

Cheers,
Teresa
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem upgrading membership

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »