Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Let's improve ProZ.com! (Three things I would do to improve ProZ.com if I were in charge.)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Raquel Dominguez
Raquel Dominguez  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:02
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kudoz and lazybones Sep 23, 2006

Hello, Henry, I would like to contribute to lessening the woes of this adolescent phase of Proz.

1) When one chooses a phrase for translation, the Kudoz engine (perhaps because it´s an engine) behaves in an infuriating manner. I recently wanted to see if "buen nivel" could translate acceptably into "good level". I had to wade through dozens of phrases including "buen" which did not interest me at all.

2) Sometimes unacceptable Kudoz answers get accepted. Perhaps a mode
... See more
Hello, Henry, I would like to contribute to lessening the woes of this adolescent phase of Proz.

1) When one chooses a phrase for translation, the Kudoz engine (perhaps because it´s an engine) behaves in an infuriating manner. I recently wanted to see if "buen nivel" could translate acceptably into "good level". I had to wade through dozens of phrases including "buen" which did not interest me at all.

2) Sometimes unacceptable Kudoz answers get accepted. Perhaps a moderator should accept, not the asker, as has already been suggested. However, only the asker knows what he needs... Anyway, the most glaring mistakes should be suppressed. As a colleague pointed out, the asker is primarily someone who does not know.

3) I do not agree with allowing students to complete their translation homework through Proz. Some have completed papers thank to kind, if misguided, colleagues. What is the value of your diploma if someone else did the thinking for you?

I have learnt a lot through Kudoz, that is why I would like to see improvements there.

Good luck and thanks for your time
Raquel Domínguez
Collapse

Krys Williams
Krys Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:02
Member (2003)
Polish to English
+ ...
I'm mostly happy Sep 23, 2006

Proz has been a fantastic shopwindow, through which I obtained most of my clients and has convinced me I do have something valuable to offer despite not having linguistic qualifications. I don't use the job auctions because I get more direct offers than I can accept. With so many established clients, I don't really need paid membership any more, but I continue because Proz enabled me to leave a job I hatedto do something I enjoy. I support the site as a token of my gratitude... See more
Proz has been a fantastic shopwindow, through which I obtained most of my clients and has convinced me I do have something valuable to offer despite not having linguistic qualifications. I don't use the job auctions because I get more direct offers than I can accept. With so many established clients, I don't really need paid membership any more, but I continue because Proz enabled me to leave a job I hatedto do something I enjoy. I support the site as a token of my gratitude

Main gripe: Kudoz points race. I believe all but the simplest queries should receive a detailed answer, with supporting material. However, while I search for documented material to back up my answer, someone slips in with a fairly cursory reply and, as first past the post, gets the points. My frustration means I don't participate in Kudoz now. I don't care about points as such, but since they are so prominently displayed by our names, I feel that this makes me look less competent when I am viewed next to the first-past-the-posters.

Second gripe proz messages about jobs from non-member/not logged-in users. Usually these are pointless invitations to enter myself into some database or offers of poorly paid work. I would prefer such messaging to be enabled only for full members of Proz.

Third gripe: I'd like to be more active on the forums but don't know how to make the viewing process more streamlined.
Collapse

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:02
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
What I'd do... Sep 23, 2006

I agree with what Johanna said:

1. Sit back and enjoy what you've created, i.e., slow down with all the changes.

2. Remain committed to your dream and your vision. You can't make everyone happy all the time; there will always be a certain degree of fluctuation in membership numbers.

3. Bring back the exclusiveness, i.e., I want to be a Platinum Member again.

{60 words}...
See more
I agree with what Johanna said:

1. Sit back and enjoy what you've created, i.e., slow down with all the changes.

2. Remain committed to your dream and your vision. You can't make everyone happy all the time; there will always be a certain degree of fluctuation in membership numbers.

3. Bring back the exclusiveness, i.e., I want to be a Platinum Member again.

{60 words}
Collapse

Elizabeth Lyons
Elizabeth Lyons  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:02
French to English
+ ...
My four cents Sep 23, 2006

Henry, your site and concept were ingenious and visionary. You are to be congratulated on them as well as your courage opening yourself and the site up to Monday morning quarterbacks. A major gripe session tends to encourage complaining, but you must have had a reason for doing so, publicly, although I am mystified as to what has happened to trigger this.

That said, here are my thoughts, some just to second earlier entries:

1. I am 95% satisfied with everything here,
... See more
Henry, your site and concept were ingenious and visionary. You are to be congratulated on them as well as your courage opening yourself and the site up to Monday morning quarterbacks. A major gripe session tends to encourage complaining, but you must have had a reason for doing so, publicly, although I am mystified as to what has happened to trigger this.

That said, here are my thoughts, some just to second earlier entries:

1. I am 95% satisfied with everything here, the format, the look, the mechanisms, the new and changing features, etc. To me the place has two functions: as a professional job mart and a social or community building arena. I would tighten up and make more exclusive the professional dimension. Make Platinum mean something and provide more restricted service to outsourcers and translators who pay for membership. Keep the community aspect welcoming, open and cordial. I think some predefined censorship is appropriate otherwise there would be the same kind of verbal anarchy that exists in completely unregulated environments throughout society. People should also monitor themselves as every word they print here is accessible by potential clients. I would also say that the use of "avatars" and silly pseudonyms instead of real names here is unprofessional, inappropriate and trivializing, but that is a minor point.

2. I would do away with the bidding process altogether. I do think it has hurt the profession and degraded the fees as well as the perception of true translating as a trained art and skill. Just because someone is "bilingual" does not mean they are qualified to be a competent translator. Just post the job and let the outsourcers and translators find each other. No prices, including no publicly posted pricing by the translators themselves (what other profession does this???) and no bidding. It is too easy to bid without thinking and many people are taking unfair advantage of the ease of this process to everyone's detriment.

3. More information and screening of the outsourcers is in order. If this site is supposed to be for translators primarily, it seems odd that we fill out extensive profiles but the information on the outsourcers is minimal. I would like to see some sort of categorization of the outsourcers - size, years in business, are they an agency or a company, are they incorporated -- some vetting is in order here and what better place to find this information than this site?

4. A "bookstore" or store of some sort to purchase software, books, glossaries, etc.

Otherwise, I think this model is excellent.

[Edited at 2006-09-23 16:56]

[Edited at 2006-09-23 18:22]
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
The site should be a whole lot friendlier really. Sep 23, 2006

1: Staff should answer e-mails and support tickets, even a “thanks, we’re taking care of it” would be nice.
No reply = we’re not interested. At the very least being rude to customers is not good for business.

2: Avoid forcing changes on people. For example, I still want my old profile back, new profiles should be an option.

3: Less moderating - more moderation from the moderators, less changing the wording of polls, etc.. Site users are not illiterate idi
... See more
1: Staff should answer e-mails and support tickets, even a “thanks, we’re taking care of it” would be nice.
No reply = we’re not interested. At the very least being rude to customers is not good for business.

2: Avoid forcing changes on people. For example, I still want my old profile back, new profiles should be an option.

3: Less moderating - more moderation from the moderators, less changing the wording of polls, etc.. Site users are not illiterate idiots.

There’s a lot more but you just asked for 3.

The biggest difference to the site would be making it friendlier, a place where people are respected, a place it feels good to be.
Collapse

sandrita
sandrita  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Unclutter our home page! Sep 23, 2006

1- Henry, UNCLUTTER the home page, please!

2- Make Identity verification of all members and outsourcers a condition for posting

[Edited at 2006-09-23 22:04]

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 04:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some agrees and an old wish list item Sep 23, 2006

1) I completely agree with Cillian:

Don't implement any of the changes suggested by Andy L. Sorry Andy, nothing personal. I just disagree with all four.

Me too! Those changes are just too radical and not helpful, in my opinion.

2) I also agree with Magda's Book Corner, as well as Elizabeth Lyons' bookstore idea. Both are excellent ideas! I'd LOVE to have that.

3) And I agree wholeheartedly with Viktoria:

ave some room for off-topic threads where subjects unrelated to trasnaltion can be discussed - it would be like going on a coffee break with colleagues[...][/quote]

This was the whole idea behind the "ConociéndonoZ" thread at the Spanish forum. So I disagree with Belkis' idea of limited posting and maximum number of words. Sorry, Belkis, nothing personal. I understand the need for rules and limitations, but we also need room to breathe.

4) I also strongly agree with Elizabeth Ardans' three points, specially #2.

5) And last, but not least, I already mentioned this once, months ago, I don't remember where:

I'd like a function to search within my own KudoZ questions, both the ones I have asked and the ones I have answered. Sometimes I know I have asked/answered a particular thing and I have it on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't remember the exact wording of the question/answer. And it's extremely annoying having to wade through all similar questions that most of the time are not even relevant to what I'm looking for, just because I didn't search for the exact text string. If I could narrow my search to my own KudoZ section, it'd be a ton easier.

There. I apologize for posting twice in this thread, and for writing such a long post.

Thanks for listening (reading... well, you know what I mean).

langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
An answer to your question the other way around... Sep 24, 2006

Yesterday, I renewed our ProZ.com membership.

Primary reason: the web hosting. Would cost the same amount with other providers, but with ProZ there is some "value added" (membership "privileges"), also I/we don't really need it. In terms of increasing job opportunities - won't support the site for that as the return I had is rather low. The jobs advertising board is something I've dismissed looking at already much time ago. There are mostly outsourcers looking for cheap translations
... See more
Yesterday, I renewed our ProZ.com membership.

Primary reason: the web hosting. Would cost the same amount with other providers, but with ProZ there is some "value added" (membership "privileges"), also I/we don't really need it. In terms of increasing job opportunities - won't support the site for that as the return I had is rather low. The jobs advertising board is something I've dismissed looking at already much time ago. There are mostly outsourcers looking for cheap translations, Unfortunately I don't live in a country with a low cost of living an have to pay taxes, so I don't bother anymore. Not worth the effort.

But I've been contacted directly through this site, therefore I second the suggestion to give more visibilty to the translators' directory. Serious outsources don't post jobs, they search the directory for themselves to find "suitable" translators to their purpose and do contact them directely.

I rarely ask KudoZ questions (but I like to help others where I think I'm able to), so question limits are no point to me for paying a membership.

The illimited BB is a good feature, but as it lives by sharing experiences, the more would be the better, so it should be open to everyone. Why should a "user" with limited BB access share his or her negative experience regarding an agency on the BB he or she isn't allowed to consult?

Just some considerations, I think in line with what has been exposed by others before in this thread.

I enjoy this site, but the features I'm enjoying are those I could have "free of charge".
And onestly. I'don't like very much paying money only for privileged member access to low rate job offers. There are plenty of them for free on the Internet.
Collapse

Silvia Sassone (X)
Silvia Sassone (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Get back to our beginnings. My thoughts about “If I were... Sep 24, 2006

1) Make the site as friendly as possible. As a freelancer I have no time to devote to so many ruling, directions, restrictions and the like. Remember that our first goal is to give good service to our clients and ProZ has given many of us the chance to have a totally new perspective of our profession.

2) Users, i.e. non-paying members, are valuable. So get back to our beginnings. Remember that once we were just users. That would be thinking big.

3) As I believe that the
... See more
1) Make the site as friendly as possible. As a freelancer I have no time to devote to so many ruling, directions, restrictions and the like. Remember that our first goal is to give good service to our clients and ProZ has given many of us the chance to have a totally new perspective of our profession.

2) Users, i.e. non-paying members, are valuable. So get back to our beginnings. Remember that once we were just users. That would be thinking big.

3) As I believe that there is some before/after the Conference in Buenos Aires, it would be great if ProZ promotes more events locally. Workshops, lectures, meetings to exchange experiences. Everything that may enhance our vision as translators.

4) Keep everything as simpler as possible… even the way with words.
Collapse

Reinhard Ursprung
Reinhard Ursprung  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
members + users = musers Sep 24, 2006

I'd find:

1. out how many outsourcers and providers would be ready to pay how many percent of jobs that would be handled by experts (including securing of delivery and payment);

2. ways to let users who are ready to pay a percentage of jobs become members;

3. how to identify and label substandard job postings, outsourcers, and translators (which would reduce or improve their activities).

I could help to find out, but not in 250 words.

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Helping to improve Proz Sep 24, 2006

Hello Henry,

My two suggestions are these:

+ Information (statistics) on who´s posting the biggest amount of jobs in Proz and a link to the Blue Board information (if any) within the same page. I think that will give us an even better idea of how agencies/job posters work.

+ The possibility of sending your Proz cv to agencies/job posters simply because they´re open to receiving them.
Therefore, constantly updated information on which agencies are cu
... See more
Hello Henry,

My two suggestions are these:

+ Information (statistics) on who´s posting the biggest amount of jobs in Proz and a link to the Blue Board information (if any) within the same page. I think that will give us an even better idea of how agencies/job posters work.

+ The possibility of sending your Proz cv to agencies/job posters simply because they´re open to receiving them.
Therefore, constantly updated information on which agencies are currently looking for translators/interpreters etc. is required.

Many thanks for the opportunity to speak up
Collapse

Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
My ideas Sep 24, 2006

My ideas-

1. No rates posted in job postings. As I see it, I am the service provider and I set my rates. It is then up to the outsourcer/client to accept the best bid, or negotiate with me personally. (Isn't that what a "bid" is all about?) This could also possibly discourage the rock bottom feeders from posting jobs.

2. Give members as much control as possible over their professional images. I echo Jo Macdonald in saying that I want my old profile back, and I want tota
... See more
My ideas-

1. No rates posted in job postings. As I see it, I am the service provider and I set my rates. It is then up to the outsourcer/client to accept the best bid, or negotiate with me personally. (Isn't that what a "bid" is all about?) This could also possibly discourage the rock bottom feeders from posting jobs.

2. Give members as much control as possible over their professional images. I echo Jo Macdonald in saying that I want my old profile back, and I want total control of what other's see in it.

3. Don't force changes on members who have already paid for a specific service.

4. Improve the Forum search.

In closing, I echo the call for a more "friendly", less "policed" Proz. My membership is expiring, and for the first time in a few years, I'm not sure if I'll be renewing.

My best,
Jennifer
Collapse

Sergio Mangiarotti
Sergio Mangiarotti
German to Italian
2 suggestions + 1 dream Sep 24, 2006

Hi Chief,

here my suggestions in short:

1) Freedom of speech, i.e., emphasis on Netiquette: I think this should always be the most important set of behavioral rules in Internet.

2) Code of Conduct (translators such as Manca and Kramer exposed this concept better than I can do)

3) The dream: Kudoz as a "translators contest" with a jury for each question who assigns points according to pertinence, rightness, necessity and fairplay of the answers
... See more
Hi Chief,

here my suggestions in short:

1) Freedom of speech, i.e., emphasis on Netiquette: I think this should always be the most important set of behavioral rules in Internet.

2) Code of Conduct (translators such as Manca and Kramer exposed this concept better than I can do)

3) The dream: Kudoz as a "translators contest" with a jury for each question who assigns points according to pertinence, rightness, necessity and fairplay of the answers in a given context.
Otherwise: KudoZ still as an "help for others", but please without points.

Best regards
Sergio

[Edited at 2006-09-24 12:48]

[Edited at 2006-09-24 13:22]
Collapse

Mårten Sandberg
Mårten Sandberg  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
Suggestions for improvements Sep 24, 2006

1. Currently, quetions that are closed w/o grading appear as open questions in the overview - please make sure it can be seen with clicking on the question that it has been closed.

2. Kudoz rules are often violated, and the moderators do not seem to be able to handle this. Change rules so that everyone is encouraged (or at least allowed) to tell members who are often or flagrantly violating the rules, that they do wrong and what they do wrong. Today those rules are explicitly saying
... See more
1. Currently, quetions that are closed w/o grading appear as open questions in the overview - please make sure it can be seen with clicking on the question that it has been closed.

2. Kudoz rules are often violated, and the moderators do not seem to be able to handle this. Change rules so that everyone is encouraged (or at least allowed) to tell members who are often or flagrantly violating the rules, that they do wrong and what they do wrong. Today those rules are explicitly saying that members should not interfere with other members´kudoz asking, even if they violate the letter or the spirit of the rules and the good practice on the site.

3. Emphasize the information regarding the need for context when asking kudoz questions - a great deal of all kudoz-questions lacks this severely, and the situation is not improving...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let's improve ProZ.com! (Three things I would do to improve ProZ.com if I were in charge.)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »