Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 28, 2007

Dear All,

I'm happy to announce that a new forum has been specifically created for the discussion of all matters related to ProZ.com translation contests:
  • ProZ.com Translation Contests

See you there!

Regards,
    Romina

• Angie Garbarino
    Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
    Local time: 10:26
    Member (2003)
    French to Italian
    + ...
    Problems with vote Nov 28, 2007

Hi Romina

I tried to vote in my language pairs but can't find the button

Last time I voted for the winners, so cannot be for that reason that I can't vote.

What is the problem?

Thank you!

Angio

RominaZ
    Argentina
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Voted negatively a winning entry on the 3rd ProZ.com Translation Contest Nov 28, 2007

Dear Angio,

Angioletta Garbarino wrote:

Hi Romina

I tried to vote in my language pairs but can't find the button

Last time I voted for the winners, so cannot be for that reason that I can't vote.

The reason why you cannot vote now is that you did vote negatively for a winning entry during the third Translation Contest.

However, you will be able to vote in the final round of this contest.

Regards,

Romina

lexical
    lexical  Identity Verified
    Spain
    Portuguese to English
    Voted negatively a winning entry on the 3rd ProZ.com Translation Contest Nov 28, 2007

Sorry, what does this mean? I sincerely hope I've got this wrong but it sounds very like "you failed to vote for the "right" candidate therefore you've been disqualified from voting". Do tell me it's a communication error due to language differences.

If it's not, then I'm shocked beyond words. Are we being told that members can't exercise their vote freely, but only in the way the Proz Politburo say they can?

Can we have an explanation please?

valco
    valco
    English to French
    + ...
    problem with votes Nov 29, 2007

Hi !
    I don't understand the new voting system. All I can do apparently is to give comments, is there something I missed ?
    Thanks

Henry Dotterer
    Henry Dotterer
    Local time: 04:26
    SITE FOUNDER
    Explanation of the thinking behind the qualification round Nov 29, 2007

lexical wrote:

Sorry, what does this mean? I sincerely hope I've got this wrong but it sounds very like "you failed to vote for the "right" candidate therefore you've been disqualified from voting". Do tell me it's a communication error due to language differences.

If it's not, then I'm shocked beyond words. Are we being told that members can't exercise their vote freely, but only in the way the Proz Politburo say they can?

Can we have an explanation please?

Thanks for posting (rather than just thinking this!) I'll explain the thinking that led to this...

In the first contest, in which there was no "qualification" round, there were many entries in Spanish but relatively few votes. We asked people why they did not vote, and the common response was that there were too many entries to consider - that they had meant to vote, but could not without going through all of the entries - and that would take too long. (Roland has understood the problem precisely.)

So we came up with the idea to try a qualification round, in which the goal would be to reduce the number of entries to a manageable number - and to not have to review all of the entries to do so. We had the idea to give the community a way to remove from the field any entry that has no possibility of winning. If there is a "fatal flaw" in an entry - or if it simply is not on the level of other entries - taking it out of contention should help to put the focus on the real candidates. (So only 4 or 5 people need to read it, not all voters.)

The voting interface was implemented in a manner consistent with the goal of the qualification round. The text of the question reads: "Does this entry have a chance to win?" If you select "No, others are clearly better", you get a confirmation step. In that step, you see: "If you vote negatively on an entry which then turns out to be a winning entry, you will be penalized by not being able to vote in the qualification round of future contests." You then have to confirm your vote to disqualify.

I had not paid close attention to this text previously, and reading it now, I think it is not quite right to call this approach "penalization". Basically, if a person votes to disqualify what winds up being a winning entry, the system does not solicit their opinion in subsequent qualification rounds. This is to protect contestants - it would be unfortunate if their potentially winning entries were discarded prematurely.

That was the thinking, anyway. As it turns out, while on balance this approach seems to be working, we are looking for ways to improve upon it. Roland's makes some good points. Any other feedback from what you have called the Politburo (ie. members who vote - staff members do not!) would be appreciated, too!

Henar Chico (X)
    Henar Chico (X)  Identity Verified
    United States
    Local time: 02:26
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    Votes Nov 29, 2007

One of the things I don't understand is why entries are allowed to be disqualified before the qualification phase ends. I realize that some people do not want to read all of the entries, but let's say I do, but I don't get to do it until the last day of the qualification phase because I have been busy. By that time, I can't vote on all of the entries because many have been disqualified by the people that were able to vote before me, thus making it impossible for me to judge all of the entries ... See more
    One of the things I don't understand is why entries are allowed to be disqualified before the qualification phase ends. I realize that some people do not want to read all of the entries, but let's say I do, but I don't get to do it until the last day of the qualification phase because I have been busy. By that time, I can't vote on all of the entries because many have been disqualified by the people that were able to vote before me, thus making it impossible for me to judge all of the entries as I would have liked. If there is going to be a qualification phase, I think all entries should be left up until the phase is over, and then compute the positive and negative votes. The people that do not wish to read all entries can wait for the final phase, while the rest can vote on ALL entries at any time during the qualification phase.

Thanks,

Henar Chico
    Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
    Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
    Spain
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    About the voting system for contests Nov 30, 2007

Hi,

I would like to know where we are supposed to post our feedback about the voting system for the contests.

I just noticed there is another thread (at http://www.proz.com/topic/90335?start=0&float= ) where it seems this discussion had already started.

Also, will Henry/staff follow up on this discussion (I just don't want to spend time on this unless
    ... See more
    Hi,

I would like to know where we are supposed to post our feedback about the voting system for the contests.

I just noticed there is another thread (at http://www.proz.com/topic/90335?start=0&float= ) where it seems this discussion had already started.

Also, will Henry/staff follow up on this discussion (I just don't want to spend time on this unless there is some Proz.com specific follow up about the feedback provided by the posters in the discussion).

Thanks,

Ivette
    Collapse

RominaZ
    Argentina
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Using the new forum Nov 30, 2007

ICL wrote:

Hi,

For the sake of clarity I suggest we use the ProZ.com Translation Contest Forum to discuss issues related to the Contest. http://www.proz.com/topic/90335 .

Also, will Henry/staff follow up on this discussion (I just don't want to spend time on this unless there is some Proz.com specific follow up about the feedback provided by the posters in the discussion).

Yes, Ivette. We are following up the discussion.

Regards,
    Romina

Ivette Camargo López
    Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
    Spain
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    Got it! Nov 30, 2007

Hola Romina,

Thanks for your kind and prompt reply.

I will prepare my feedback and post it in the thread you just suggested.

Muchos saludos,

Ivette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Forum: ProZ.com Translation Contests

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »