Autor wątku: Julia Esrom
Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:54
francuski > polski
+ ...
Sharing termbases... DVX... Swordfish... May 21, 2008

Julia Esrom wrote:

Sounds like your suggestion to go with Trados Professional would be the best option. Many users may disagree, but Trados is more use to me than other (cheaper) CAT tools.

Cheaper doesn't mean worse

I have Trados because of the compatibility with tools like Passolo (Trados acts as plug-in), I have Pro because we share TM's and we need more than 5 languages.

But when I need to share TM's and termbases on the network and work in a heavy duty multiuser environment, I prefer DVX.
http://www.atril.com

One SDLT Pro licence costs almost 3000 euro.
One DVX Professional licence costs almost 1000 euro.

Please, note, you can't share MultiTerm 2007 termbases even if you have Trados Pro, officially you need a MT server (in you case, MT Team, as you need less than 5 access licences).
It's extremely expensive (AFAIK 5000 euro)
And it's a basic function.

You see the difference...

Of course, all depends of the file types you translate.

In a lot of cases, it's sufficient to buy some Swordfish licences (200 euro), download Oracle personal edition for free and share your termbases as you like...

Cheers
GG

Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
ic May 21, 2008

Interesting...

Grzegorz Gryc
francuski > polski
+ ...
DVX vs Swordfish... May 21, 2008

Julia Esrom wrote:

Interesting...

If Trados Professional is generally not worth the money SDL charges, unless you really need some special features, DVX and Swordfish have some good and bad points.

E.g.:
- the term recognition is better in DVX, especially for languages like German (fuzzy matching)
- the scalability is probably better in Swordfish as the db engine it uses is more performant (SQL servers like Oracle/MySQL against MS Jet)
- the common file types coverage is better in DVX (e.g. binary formats like doc, xls, ppt)
- the Swordfish compatibility with (open) standards is absolute (e.g. TMX, XLIFF)
- the filtering in DVX is simply incredible (finished, fuzzy/exact matches, duplicates etc.)
- Swordfish runs on Windows/Linux/Mac.
Etc.

You should take a closer look before you make your decision.

And it's a lot of good tools.
DVX and Swordfish are just examples.

Cheers
GG

Julia Esrom
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
market for DVX, Swordfish etc.? May 22, 2008

Good points. Of course, the market is also worth taking into the equation. How many agencies require or prefer DVX or Swordfish instead of Trados? In my experience, quite a few do work with Trados, obviously I don't know about the market scale of DVX.
j

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:54
angielski > hiszpański
Market compatibility May 22, 2008

Julia Esrom wrote:
Of course, the market is also worth taking into the equation. How many agencies require or prefer DVX or Swordfish instead of Trados? In my experience, quite a few do work with Trados, obviously I don't know about the market scale of DVX.

Hi Julia,

If an agency sends you uncleaned RTF or TTX files from Trados, you can use several tools to translate them, including Swordfish and DVX.

Take a look at http://accurapid.com/journal/44trados.htm

Regards,
Rodolfo

Grzegorz Gryc
francuski > polski
+ ...
Trados compatibility... May 22, 2008

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Julia Esrom wrote:
Of course, the market is also worth taking into the equation. How many agencies require or prefer DVX or Swordfish instead of Trados?

Few.

Although the DVX and Swordfish market share is not very comparable to Trados (it's especially related to Swordfish because it's a new tool), both tools can import/export Trados files, so you can maintain the compatibility and work in a better environment

E.g. DVX produces often better rtf/doc files than Trados (no font corruption on Set/Close), Word doesn't crash on very large lines ('cause you work in an external editor).
And Swordfish doesn't need to presegment RTF/TTX files first, unlike DVX.
So, e.g. you can edit TTX files created from InDesign in every Trados version and don't harm the file.
Jus unlike Trados
If you create a TTX file from InDesign in SDLT 2007 SP1 and use SDLT 2007 SP2 to work in it, the file will be corrupted...

In my experience, quite a few do work with Trados, obviously I don't know about the market scale of DVX.

If an agency sends you uncleaned RTF or TTX files from Trados, you can use several tools to translate them, including Swordfish and DVX.[

I often ask myself why the agencies owners don't read/understand articles like this.

With the number of bugs SDL carefully maintains and proudly produces it's the time to change the ideas...

Cheers
GG

Julia Esrom
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
it depends on the projects you are working on May 28, 2008

Take a look at http://accurapid.com/journal/44trados.htm [/quote]
I often ask myself why the agencies owners don't read/understand articles like this.
quote end

Thanks for the link, GG. Perhaps we are interpreting this article differently and I am sure translators as well as agencies would read it from a different perspective. I don't see the message quiet so one
... See more
Take a look at http://accurapid.com/journal/44trados.htm [/quote]
quote end

Thanks for the link, GG. Perhaps we are interpreting this article differently and I am sure translators as well as agencies would read it from a different perspective. I don't see the message quiet so one-sided. The last few points were rather interesting and exactly the reason why I'm still convinced that you need to use Trados IF that's what your client works with and IF that's what your client requires you to work with. It's part of business integrity.

Here is just one example listed in the article you refer to:

"Though it is possible to export the MultiTerm termbases into an XML or Excel format that can be read by other tools, a) it is relatively involved and b) quite a bit of information will be lost in the process."

The author sums up quiet nicely what I'm trying to say:

"So, are there alternatives to Trados? Certainly, when it comes to the basic translation file, translation memory, and terminology database formats—and these are the areas where compatibility usually counts. But there are also other areas where compatibility might become a little trickier."

As you suggest, read the full article, but everyone will have to decide for themselves what suits their personal needs.

I guess we went a little off-topic here in the discussion...
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
francuski > polski
+ ...
Not so complex... May 28, 2008

Julia Esrom wrote:

Thanks for the link, GG.

The link was from Rodolfo

Perhaps we are interpreting this article differently and I am sure translators as well as agencies would read it from a different perspective. I don't see the message quiet so one-sided.

True.
But you should take in account the typical situation on the market.

The last few points were rather interesting and exactly the reason why I'm still convinced that you need to use Trados IF that's what your client works with and IF that's what your client requires you to work with. It's part of business integrity.

The problem is the majority of the clients don't need/provide the "high end" functions of Trados.
E.g. related to the http://accurapid.com/journal/44trados.htm points:
2) they don't provide elaborated MT termbases because the terminology is expensive,
3) they don't provide online TM/termbases because the Trados offline servers are damn expensive,
4) they don't provide online TM/termbases because the Trados online servers are f!#$... damn expensive...

Sio in the real life, I make 90% of my translations in DVX, then proofread in Trados (yes I use Trados too...).

Everybody's happy.
My clients know perfectly I use DVX.

Here is just one example listed in the article you refer to:

"Though it is possible to export the MultiTerm termbases into an XML or Excel format that can be read by other tools, a) it is relatively involved

Not so difficult, really.
It may be time consuming but you launch the conversion and go to sleep

and b) quite a bit of information will be lost in the process."

You're perfectly right.
But the termbases I receive are so simple...
I.e. they may be big or veeeery big (almost 1 000 000 software strings) but they structure is incredibly simple i.e. perfectly flat
1:1
No hyperlinks, no graphics etc.
No losses.

The author sums up quiet nicely what I'm trying to say:

"So, are there alternatives to Trados? Certainly, when it comes to the basic translation file, translation memory, and terminology database formats—and these are the areas where compatibility usually counts. But there are also other areas where compatibility might become a little trickier."

The problem is to determine where is the limit.
As I see, the limit is rather low.

As you suggest, read the full article, but everyone will have to decide for themselves what suits their personal needs.

I guess we went a little off-topic here in the discussion...

Yep, true.

The ideal is to adopt open standards as XLIFF, TMX etc. ang give to the translators a possiblitity to choose the tool they like

So why I like the Rodolfo's aproach.

PS.
You should take in account the fact the Trados guys don't fix their bugs as they should do, especially in MultiTerm.
The software is very complex and their installation routines are a crap (e.g. their Java apps often don't install properly).
I'm getting angry 'cause every year I pay a lot of money for upgrade and I see the same errors during 5-6 years.
E.g. http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/105434-does_not_conform_to_the_target_termbase_definition.html
It's crazy.

I maintain my bunch of Trados Pro mainly for compatibility reasons.
It has an important place in my workflow but it's just auxiliary.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-05-29 06:16]

Julia Esrom
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
:) May 29, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Thanks for the link, GG. [/quote]
The link was from Rodolfo

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-05-29 06:16]

Sorry, Rodolfo: Thanks for the link!

You are a good sales person, GG! DVX should hire you...

[Edited at 2008-05-29 08:16]

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tool for use on 2 computers at the same time

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »