Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 20, 2021

Hello, colleagues,

I am a freelancer translator since few months ago and I have got a question about the compatibility between MemoQ and Trados.

I have got a one year's susbcription to Trados Studio 2021 and, as fas as I know, I can work on MemoQ projects on Trados without any problem (although I have never tried it). One a my clients use a platform to post jobs and I have found many of them in August requesting to work in MemoQ.

My question is:

... See more
Hello, colleagues,

I am a freelancer translator since few months ago and I have got a question about the compatibility between MemoQ and Trados.

I have got a one year's susbcription to Trados Studio 2021 and, as fas as I know, I can work on MemoQ projects on Trados without any problem (although I have never tried it). One a my clients use a platform to post jobs and I have found many of them in August requesting to work in MemoQ.

My question is:

If I open and work in a MemoQ project on Trados, could this project, the return package, etc., be opened in MemoQ after having working on it in Trados?

I am declining those kind of works until now due to technical reasons but I don't know how it really works.

Thank you so much for your help and have a nice weekend.

Jorge
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jorge Aug 20, 2021

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez wrote:
I have got a one year's subscription to Trados Studio 2021...

The current Trados website lacks an obvious way to compare versions, but AFAIK the annual subscription model gives you a full freelance license of Trados, so you can do whatever any other "freelance" version of Trados can do.

... and, as far as I know, I can work on MemoQ projects on Trados without any problem (although I have never tried it).

I doubt it that is actually so. I have both Trados and MemoQ, and I don't think there is any way for my Trados to access (i.e. open, edit, save) any of my MemoQ projects. What I *can* do is to export certain types of files from MemoQ and then work on those files in Trados, and export them from Trados again and import them into MemoQ.

But we're possibly using the word "project" to mean multiple things here. You can "work on MemoQ jobs" to a high degree with Trados (via exporting and importing files), but you can't "work on MemoQ projects" with Trados.

One a my clients use a platform to post jobs and I have found many of them in August requesting to work in MemoQ.
... If I open and work in a MemoQ project on Trados, could this project, the return package, etc., be opened in MemoQ after having working on it in Trados?

Your question assumes that the client will be sending you MemoQ work as packages. But okay: no, Trados can't open MemoQ forward packages (called "handoff packages" by MemoQ) and Trados certainly can't create return packages (called "handback packages" by MemoQ). But do you know for certain that the client will be sending you work in this format?

Perhaps it's best to talk about the various ways in which MemoQ files/projects can be sent from the client to you:
* The client could require you to use MemoQwebtrans, an extremely restrictive online version of MemoQ.
* The client could send you login details and require you to download the files from their server directly inside MemoQ, work on it in MemoQ, and then deliver it back to the server from inside MemoQ.
* The client could send you MQXLIFF files, which you can translate in Trados.
* The client could send you MQXLZ files, which are zipped MQXLIFF files, which you can translate in Trados.
* The client could send you a handoff package (which is an MQOUT file), which you *cannot* translate in Trados, but AFAIK this is also a zip file that contains various files including the MQXLIFF file, which you can translate in Trados. You *cannot* use Trados to create a handback package (which is an MQBACK file). I'm not sure if Trados is able to import the TMs and glossaries from an unzipped MQOUT file.

It may be that the client is willing to send you MQXLIFF files, if you tell him that you have Trados and that Trados can handle MQXLIFF files just fine.

However, Trados can't connect to a MemoQ TM server, so unless the client is willing to export his TM and share his TM with you, you would have to translate the MQXLIFF file without a TM (and the client might not be willing to do that, because of consistency reasons). The client would also have to export and share his glossary with you. It is possible to pre-translate an MQXLIFF file against a TM down to about 65% fuzzy matches (only one match per segment), but the pre-translated MQXLIFF file won't contain glossary entries.

You can also ask for an RTF export instead of or in addition to the MQXLIFF file.

PS. If you open the MQXLIFF file in Trados, Trados will create an SDLXLIFF file for it, and you'll be working on the SDXLIFF file, but when it's time to deliver the translation, you should use the "Generate Target Translations" option to create a final, translated MQXLIFF file. Don't send the SDLXLIFF file to the client.

[Edited at 2021-08-20 08:00 GMT]

Yossi Rozenman
Teplocteur
Luz Maria Contreras Johnson

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Studio 2021 and MemoQ Aug 20, 2021

Thank you so much for all that information, Samuel or Mr. Murray.

I have never used MemoQ but now I have got an overview about the differences between the two CAT Tools.

I have formation in localising software, mobile apps and videogames and I have realized that many of the jobs on these fields are to be done in MemoQ.

I have never got a localisation job yet. As I read once in the Internet, "Sometimes it's not the translator who chooses his or her fields of
... See more
Thank you so much for all that information, Samuel or Mr. Murray.

I have never used MemoQ but now I have got an overview about the differences between the two CAT Tools.

I have formation in localising software, mobile apps and videogames and I have realized that many of the jobs on these fields are to be done in MemoQ.

I have never got a localisation job yet. As I read once in the Internet, "Sometimes it's not the translator who chooses his or her fields of expertise but the fields of expertise that choose him or her". And that taking into account that I have got formation as IT Technician and worked on that field as an IT Technician for more than 2 years.

Thank you so much and have a nice weekend.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2021 and MemoQ

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »