How can I quickly add an abbreviation to the segmentation rules?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Jan 9, 2022

I have two questions:

1. How can I quickly add an abbreviation to the segmentation rules? (E.g. 'el.')
  2. Is there an easy way to re-segment an SDLXLIFF or a TMX file where segments have been split after an abbreviation? (Without re-importing the source file.)

Yaotl Altan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@German Jan 9, 2022

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:
Is there an easy way to re-segment an SDLXLIFF or a TMX file where segments have been split after an abbreviation? (Without re-importing the source file.)

Not that I know of.

Matts Linder's highly recommended Trados Studio Manual gives information on page 222 about merging segments, but there is nothing there that helps your case.

merge split

To my dismay, it's not possible to merge segments unless both/all segments that are to be merged are visible to the user. In other words, you can't filter segments on the relevant abbreviation and then click the visible segments and cause each of them to the merged to their subsequent segments. And as far as I can tell, there isn't a way to merge segments without using the mouse.

How can I quickly add an abbreviation to the segmentation rules? (E.g. 'el.')

Well, since you can't add abbreviations in mid-project and have them apply on the active file in mid-project, one option is to create an abbreviation list in a TXT file while you translate, and then import that abbreviation list into the language resources for that source language at the end of your project, so that they apply to future projects, at least.

After reading about this for several minutes, I did find out that importing an abbreviation list is done while editing/creating a language resource template, which is located at File > New > New Language Resource Template. However, I have not been able to figure out how to attach a language resource template to a project or to a language pair.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:18
English to Russian
TM Settings (can reach either from Options or Project Settings) Jan 9, 2022

How can I quickly add an abbreviation to the segmentation rules? (E.g. 'el.')
Trados segments any text against the first/top TM in the list of TM(s). If there are more than one TM in the list, select the first one and click Settings. Then go to Language Resources, then Abbreviations. Hover over the word 'Default' to invoke an editing pencil, click it and type your abbreviation.

Is there an easy way to re-segment an SDLXLIFF or a TMX file where segments have been split after an abbreviation? (Without re-importing the source file.)
To my best knowledge, no. You have to re-create sdlxliff for this purpose after you apply the changes.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Screenshot Jan 9, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
importing an abbreviation list is done while editing/creating a language resource template, which is located at File > New > New Language Resource Template
You don't necessarily need to edit your template or create a new project. You can also add abbreviations in existing projects.
2022-01-09_231109

Hans Lenting

Possible to merge without mouse Jan 10, 2022

Just wanted to confirm all the information about and possibly clarify. The LRT for abbreviations is attached to the first TM as another user pointed out. Add the abbreviations there.

It is possible to merge without using the mouse if you have keyboard shortcuts set up in a way that allows it. I use the Trados Studio shortcuts as well as an AutoHotkey script, but the script it not necessary (I've included it here in case anyone wants it):

; Merge units

^G::<
... See more
Just wanted to confirm all the information about and possibly clarify. The LRT for abbreviations is attached to the first TM as another user pointed out. Add the abbreviations there.

It is possible to merge without using the mouse if you have keyboard shortcuts set up in a way that allows it. I use the Trados Studio shortcuts as well as an AutoHotkey script, but the script it not necessary (I've included it here in case anyone wants it):

; Merge units

^G::
{
send, ^!{Down}
sleep, 100
send, !{F3}
sleep, 100
send {Enter}
sleep, 100
GetKeyState, state, Alt
if state = D
MsgBox The ALT key is down.

GetKeyState, state, Control
if state = D
MsgBox The Ctrl key is down.
return
}

The GetKeyState arises in rare instances where a key gets "stuck" during the script. Hasn't happened in a while so may be redundant. Here's a quick breakdown:

Ctrl+G: Triggers the script (I think I co-opted the original merge shortcut in Studio, not sure anymore), which does the following:
Alt+Control+Down arrow: Selects the next row (keyboard shortcut for "Select next row" in Studio, possibly customized)
Alt+F3: Merges the current segment with the segment selected below it (keyboard shortcut for "Merge" in Studio, probably customized)
Enter: Probably used to confirm the "These segments are confirmed" message box if it appears.

So without the script, you could configure the keyboard shortcuts above and carry out the steps manually.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Stepan Jan 10, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
You don't necessarily need to edit your template or create a new project. You can also add abbreviations in existing projects.

But if you add abbreviations to an existing project, will it also apply to future projects? Adding an abbreviation to an existing project seems rather meaningless, since the abbreviation won't be applied.

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 10, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:
importing an abbreviation list is done while editing/creating a language resource template, which is located at File > New > New Language Resource Template
2022-01-09_231109

Precise and clear as always. Thanks again, Stepan!

BTW: How did you draw these nice arrows?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks too Jan 10, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Stepan Konev wrote:

But if you add abbreviations to an existing project, will it also apply to future projects? Adding an abbreviation to an existing project seems rather meaningless, since the abbreviation won't be applied.

I've never understood that the handling of abbrev. is assigned to a setting in the memory, instead of the project ...

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TM level Jan 10, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
But if you add abbreviations to an existing project, will it also apply to future projects?
This change applies to the TM of your choice. If you use that TM for segmentation in your future projects, then yes, the abbreviations you add there will be there next time. Even when you edit a template, you still use some particular TM for that. It does not matter whether you change your TM in a template, in a new project, or in Options generally. TM matters.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TM-based segmentation Jan 10, 2022

I've never understood that the handling of abbrev. is assigned to a setting in the memory, instead of the project ...
This is because Trados uses TM for segmentation. Moreover, not any TM, but the one that goes first in the list. That is why, if you want abbreviations to be recognized during segmentation, they have to be known to the segmenting TM. Maybe questionable, but this is how it works.

[Edited at 2022-01-10 10:50 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
FastStone Capture Jan 10, 2022

BTW: How did you draw these nice arrows?
I use FastStone Capture. Only $20 per copy but still very useful to me.

Hans Lenting
A. & S. Witte

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Ease Jan 11, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

if you want abbreviations to be recognized during segmentation, they have to be known to the segmenting TM. Maybe questionable

Just for the record, in the CAT tool that I use:

• New abbrev. can be added with one click.
  • They'll be handled correctly for the remainder of the project.
  • You can auto-join segments from a TMX after an abbrev.

So perhaps my expectations were too high .

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I quickly add an abbreviation to the segmentation rules?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »