Initiator des Themas: Bram Poldervaart
Bram Poldervaart
Bram Poldervaart  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:37
Mitglied (2002)
Englisch > Niederländisch
+ ...
Dec 17, 2005

I am sorry to have to post such a stupid question. I searched the forum but did not find any relevant thread concerning my question. All my apologies if this question was already asked. Here it is:

When in Trados 6.5, I'd like to be able to scroll up through segments and not only down. Scrolling down is obvious with the save/close command, but how can I scroll UP?

Second question: it is just not possible to copy text which has been processed by Trados. Only the text in
... See more
I am sorry to have to post such a stupid question. I searched the forum but did not find any relevant thread concerning my question. All my apologies if this question was already asked. Here it is:

When in Trados 6.5, I'd like to be able to scroll up through segments and not only down. Scrolling down is obvious with the save/close command, but how can I scroll UP?

Second question: it is just not possible to copy text which has been processed by Trados. Only the text in the current segment I'm working on can be copied. How's that and how can I solve this problem?

Thanks for your help!
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Local time: 13:37
Deutsch > Englisch
+ ...
It must be possible Dec 17, 2005

supernova wrote:
Second question: it is just not possible to copy text which has been processed by Trados. Only the text in the current segment I'm working on can be copied. How's that and how can I solve this problem?
Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure about Trados, but in Wordfast, to close and save a segment and go on to the next, one presses Alt and the Down arrow; going backwards is done with Alt and the Up arrow. Also, text anywhere in the document can be selected and copied, e.g. for use in the current segment.
Since Wordfast can do all that easily, surely Trados can also.
(This probably doesn't help you, except perhaps encouraging you not to give up hope!).
Oliver

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
As far as my knowledge goes Dec 17, 2005

supernova wrote:

Thanks for your help!
it is not possible. One can close the current segment and go back to the required position manually and open the segment new. Best Brandis

Bram Poldervaart
Mitglied (2002)
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
other CAT tools Dec 18, 2005

Yes, Oliver, the command exists in Wordfast and I find it very useful. I switched from Wordfast to Trados a long time ago, but I cannot believe that such a software as Trados does not offer this feature...

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
Unbelievable... Dec 18, 2005

supernova wrote:

Yes, Oliver, the command exists in Wordfast and I find it very useful. I switched from Wordfast to Trados a long time ago, but I cannot believe that such a software as Trados does not offer this feature...

...and I would say unacceptable for a software of that price...but it doesn't.
I'm not sure where, but I know there is a macro trados users can use to upgrade to Wordfast commands.

I'll let you know if I find it.
Grace

ps. here: the article and the macro: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/108/1/"Downgrading"-from-Wordfast-to-Trados:

[Edited at 2005-12-18 10:40]

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Tschechische Republik
Englisch > Tschechisch
+ ...
scrolling up in Trados Dec 18, 2005

There is no command for scrolling up in Trados, as Brandis explained.

And the clipboard in Word is overwritten each time Trados manipulates a segment (opening, closing, etc., even concordance search). Fortunately, this limitation does not exist in TagEditor.

Bram Poldervaart
Mitglied (2002)
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
It works! Dec 18, 2005

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

I'm not sure where, but I know there is a macro trados users can use to upgrade to Wordfast commands.

I'll let you know if I find it.
Grace

ps. here: the article and the macro: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/108/1/"Downgrading"-from-Wordfast-to-Trados:

[Edited at 2005-12-18 10:40]

Graciela, that works! Thanks to your link and to this tutorial I was able to implement the wordfast openprevious command in 3 minutes! Thanks a lot for your help!))

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
Brill! Dec 18, 2005

supernova wrote:
Graciela, that works! Thanks to your link and to this tutorial I was able to implement the wordfast openprevious command in 3 minutes! Thanks a lot for your help!))

These things should be charged back to Trados, shouldn't they?;)

Bram Poldervaart
Mitglied (2002)
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
copy/paste function Dec 18, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

And the clipboard in Word is overwritten each time Trados manipulates a segment (opening, closing, etc., even concordance search). Fortunately, this limitation does not exist in TagEditor.

Hynek, sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by "the clipboard is overwritten"? and it is overwritten by what?
and err sorry I don't know how to use TagEditor...%)

When I try to copy a word or sentence in a text already processed within trados, the clipboard, which displays a list of all the elements previously copied, does not show the element currently in the clipboard, but a message, "preview not available".
It is impossible to copy text whether Trados is running or not (or Wordfast). May it have something to do with the purple tags inserted by the CAT tool? Isn't there a way to ignore this code?

Hynek Palatin
Tschechische Republik
Englisch > Tschechisch
+ ...
Clipboard Dec 18, 2005

Sorry, supernova, I didn't understand your question.

What I was trying to say: If you translate with MS Word, Trados uses the clipboard to "remember" and transfer information about the translation segments. If you copy anything to the clipboard and then open or close a segment, the original contents of the clipboard (your contents) will be overwritten. You can try it for yourself - just open a segment and press CTRL+V (even without copying anything).

Now, what exactly d
... See more
Sorry, supernova, I didn't understand your question.

What I was trying to say: If you translate with MS Word, Trados uses the clipboard to "remember" and transfer information about the translation segments. If you copy anything to the clipboard and then open or close a segment, the original contents of the clipboard (your contents) will be overwritten. You can try it for yourself - just open a segment and press CTRL+V (even without copying anything).

Now, what exactly do you mean by clipboard? It doesn't show any elements previously copied, unless you mean the Clipboard toolbar in MS Office. I can't help you with that, because I use Office 2000, where this panel is quite simple and doesn't show any preview. But you should be able to copy and paste the translated text without any problems. Just be careful - if you copy the whole segment, both the (hidden) source and target text will be copied. When you paste it, a new segment will be inserted. If you want to paste only the target text, use Edit - Paste Special - Unformatted text.
Collapse

Bram Poldervaart
Mitglied (2002)
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
Impossible to copy source text into the clipboard Dec 19, 2005

Hynek,
Sorry if I did not make myself very clear concerning this copy/paste issue. This topic was first devoted to the open previous segment command. But this problem is now solved, and I would like to address my second question which can be summarized to: the impossibility to copy/paste any source text which has been processed by Trados (with CAT coded tags surrounding it) in MS Word. Only the text in the segment currently processed by Trados can be copied (if Trados is opened). This happ
... See more
Hynek,
Sorry if I did not make myself very clear concerning this copy/paste issue. This topic was first devoted to the open previous segment command. But this problem is now solved, and I would like to address my second question which can be summarized to: the impossibility to copy/paste any source text which has been processed by Trados (with CAT coded tags surrounding it) in MS Word. Only the text in the segment currently processed by Trados can be copied (if Trados is opened). This happens whether Trados is running or not, whatever MS Word version, and whichever "clipboard" I'm using (yes, I was, in my previous post, talking about the MS clipboard tool which seems to be a bit more sophisticated than the classic Explorer clipboard, as it displays not only the last, but every element copied since the opening of the session).
Anyway, the same infuriating thing always happens...impossible to copy any source text into the clipboard. Funny, as any target text can be copied...You can also try it yourself...The same thing happens on my colleague's computer, and I would like to know if it also happens to other proz members.
Collapse

Bram Poldervaart
Mitglied (2002)
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
These things should be charged back to Trados, shouldn't they? Dec 19, 2005

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

supernova wrote:

These things should be charged back to Trados, shouldn't they?;)

I could maybe contact their support service about this issue, but err, they did not answer to my previous requests...:/

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Hidden text Dec 19, 2005

Hi supernova,
the impossibility to copy/paste any source text which has been processed by Trados (with CAT coded tags surrounding it) in MS Word. Only the text in the segment currently processed by Trados can be copied (if Trados is opened).

Are you aware that source text contained in Trados segments in Word is formatted as hidden text? (This is as designed, actually, as it allows you to hide the source and preview the target only.) IIRC the Windows clipboard doesn't recognise hidden text copied.

That aside, I think it's much easier to copy source text from the original source document...

Best regards,
Ralf

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Polen
Englisch > Polnisch
Check Ando Tools Dec 19, 2005

http://atools.dotsrc.org/

You may find some enhancements very useful.

HTH,
Wojtek

Hynek Palatin
Tschechische Republik
Englisch > Tschechisch
+ ...
Copying source text Dec 19, 2005

Supernova,

Finally I understand your question. Well, I think you can copy the source text from a closed segment, but it will be pasted as hidden (in Word) or won't be pasted at all (in other applications, like Notepad). I just tried that. In either case, it's not very useful, so you need to open the segment first or copy the text from the (untranslated) source document, as Ralf suggested.

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

scrolling up in Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »