Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 16:53
Membru (2004)
din engleză în letonă
+ ...
Dec 20, 2005

I could not find answer to my question in forums so here it is.

A few segments with footnotes in the word document I am translating seem to be corrupt which in itself is not a problem, as I do not need to tanslate them. However this is the only way known to me how to get to the footnotes. I do not know how to open them separately, without first opening the main segment in WB.
I read in forums that I should use alt + a number assigned to this footnote. It did not work in my ca
... See more
I could not find answer to my question in forums so here it is.

A few segments with footnotes in the word document I am translating seem to be corrupt which in itself is not a problem, as I do not need to tanslate them. However this is the only way known to me how to get to the footnotes. I do not know how to open them separately, without first opening the main segment in WB.
I read in forums that I should use alt + a number assigned to this footnote. It did not work in my case, I might be doing something wrong, I expect. How do I find out which number has it been assigned? I also tried pressing alt + 1,2, 3 etc. but was told 'no translation unit seems to be open'. Maybe the problem is that I have a laptop and do not have a num pad?
I would be very grateful, if somebody could point me in the right direction and help to tackle tose footnotes.

I use Windows XP, Word 2003, Trados 7.

Thanks in advance,
Ines
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 17:53
din engleză în germană
+ ...
Corrupt segment appears to be the problem Dec 20, 2005

Hi Ines,
The workflow for footnotes is described in the File Formats Reference Guide, which is part of your installation.

That's why the corrupt segment probably is your problem.

I read in forums that I should use alt + a number assigned to this footnote.

Not the footnote number in the document, but the number of the subsegment - in a segment containing one footnote, that's Alt+1 (the "1" on the text part of the keyboard - not a laptop issue).

One workaround would be to translate the footnote separately, using T-Window for Clipboard - but that would need to be done after cleanup, which is probably not an option.

Best regards,
Ralf

Ines Burrell
Regatul Unit
Membru (2004)
din engleză în letonă
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
T-Window Dec 20, 2005

Thanks, Ralf!

T-Window after clean-up probably is not the worst thing however I have never used T-Window and it might take me ages to learn to use it for a single footnote.
The problem also is the size of document - some 500 plus pages which have already crashed my Word several times.
If all else fails I do not even mind translating it without Trados, I just do not know how to open this footnote. Are there any other possibilities?

Ralf Lemster
Germania
din engleză în germană
+ ...
T-Windows for Clipboard Dec 20, 2005

Hi again,
T-Window after clean-up probably is not the worst thing however I have never used T-Window and it might take me ages to learn to use it for a single footnote.

15 minutes, max.

The problem also is the size of document - some 500 plus pages which have already crashed my Word several times.

Is this perhaps a RAM issue?
Have you tried using TagEditor?

Best regards,
Ralf

Ines Burrell
Regatul Unit
Membru (2004)
din engleză în letonă
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Not RAM Dec 20, 2005

I have got 512 RAM so it should not be an issue. I suppose with documents like this lot more that can go wrong so I am getting some of it.
Re TagEditor, can I switch in the process from one to another? I was under impression you have to start everything from the scratch then?
I have already though it would be better to migrate to TE altogether. However I still start projects in Word. Not very clever of me.

Ralf Lemster
Germania
din engleză în germană
+ ...
Need to start with TE Dec 20, 2005

Hi again,
Re TagEditor, can I switch in the process from one to another? I was under impression you have to start everything from the scratch then?

Yes and no - you cannot switch, but your work already done will be in your TM, no?

Best regards,
Ralf

Ines Burrell
Regatul Unit
Membru (2004)
din engleză în letonă
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
I do seem to have a real problem now Dec 20, 2005

Trados does not want to open the segments that are attached to footnotes (or ti which footnotes are attached), it says: {1-9> mark for starting a subsegment is missing or damaged. So it seems I cannot process those segments which is a serious problem.
I have tried to repair the document however it did not produce the results.
It appears it is not my fault as I tried to open the same segment in the original document (the clean original) and the same problem presisted. Asking client
... See more
Trados does not want to open the segments that are attached to footnotes (or ti which footnotes are attached), it says: {1-9> mark for starting a subsegment is missing or damaged. So it seems I cannot process those segments which is a serious problem.
I have tried to repair the document however it did not produce the results.
It appears it is not my fault as I tried to open the same segment in the original document (the clean original) and the same problem presisted. Asking client for anything is not an issue.
The must be something that can be done?
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germania
din engleză în germană
+ ...
Document issue Dec 20, 2005

Hi,
The must be something that can be done?

Probably - but impossible to tell without checking the document.

Have you tried re-creating the document (select all except the last paragraph mark, copy and paste it into an empty document)?

Best regards,
Ralf

Ines Burrell
Regatul Unit
Membru (2004)
din engleză în letonă
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Recreating did not work Dec 20, 2005

Any other ideas?

Ines Burrell
Regatul Unit
Membru (2004)
din engleză în letonă
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Had to move to TE Dec 20, 2005

I could not pretranslate the whole document (I only got back the same original), so in the end I copied and pasted the part of the document where my problems started into a new doc and opened it in Tag Editor. All segments and footnotes now work, so I got off easily.

Thanks, Ralf, for all the advice!

Ines

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening footnotes

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »