Iniziatore argomento: Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spagna
Local time: 13:17
Da Italiano a Inglese
+ ...
Dec 21, 2005

I’ve been using Trados for a while now and can find my way around.

On a new job I’ve noticed something strange. I can use the Translate function, but when I start going through the doc by segments I can open the first one then when I move on to the second I just get one letter selected, no source/target fields and when I use the close segment button all the hidden text appears.

In the text bookmarks there appears to be only one Trados segment bookmark tw4winFrom whe
... See more
I’ve been using Trados for a while now and can find my way around.

On a new job I’ve noticed something strange. I can use the Translate function, but when I start going through the doc by segments I can open the first one then when I move on to the second I just get one letter selected, no source/target fields and when I use the close segment button all the hidden text appears.

In the text bookmarks there appears to be only one Trados segment bookmark tw4winFrom whereas I usually have two, I think the “to” bookmark may be missing. I’ve tried copy/pasting the text into a new rtf doc, working in normal layout, and deleting images, and all to no avail.

I’ve also noticed that the Logic Cut/Paste function seems to get deactivated on its own.

Like this the only way to work through the text is with the hidden text displayed, overwriting the second part.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Jo

PS: I just did a test and the TM is being updated by Clean Up

Trados 7.1
Windows XP
Word 2000

[Edited at 2005-12-21 13:19]
Collapse

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
Cina
Local time: 19:17
Da Inglese a Cinese
+ ...
Try my way Dec 21, 2005

Jo Macdonald wrote:
I’ve also noticed that the Logic Cut/Paste function seems to get deactivated on its own.

Hello,
This problem can be solved through "save as" in file menu, then in the pop-up box, select "save type" as plain text, you can use Cut/Paste function in the text file.

Best regards,
Han Li

Han Li
Cina
Da Inglese a Cinese
+ ...
Or Dec 21, 2005

you can select fix document (Alt+Ctrl+U) in Trados menu , maybe this can work.

Best regards,
Han Li

[Edited at 2005-12-21 14:48]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Membro (2005)
Da Inglese a Ceco
+ ...
Toggle hidden text on/off Dec 21, 2005

IMHO, translating with the hidden text visible is a much better option (otherwise you are very likely to damage some important hidden characters). Should the hidden text really bother you when you overview your work, you can use the following macro:

Sub ToggleHidden()

With ActiveWindow.View
.ShowHiddenText = Not .ShowHiddenText
End With

End Sub

preferably with creating and assigning a button to it, so that you can sw
... See more
IMHO, translating with the hidden text visible is a much better option (otherwise you are very likely to damage some important hidden characters). Should the hidden text really bother you when you overview your work, you can use the following macro:

Sub ToggleHidden()

With ActiveWindow.View
.ShowHiddenText = Not .ShowHiddenText
End With

End Sub

preferably with creating and assigning a button to it, so that you can switch the hidden text on and off by one museclick.

HTH

Antonin

[Edited at 2005-12-21 14:20]
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Spagna
Da Italiano a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Tried those Dec 21, 2005

Hi Han,
I tried saving as text but how can I get the doc back in a word format then?

I tried fix doc, no change.

Thanks for the feedback btw.

Hi Antonín,
Cool Macro. I've been wanting a button that would do that for donkeys, thanks.
That isn't the problem though, I can do that in the Options tabs.
Right now I can't work through the doc with Trados.

[Edited at 2005-12-21 14:35]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Membro (2005)
Da Inglese a Ceco
+ ...
I misunderstood, sorry Dec 21, 2005

Try to run the document-correcting Trados macro then:

tw4winResetDocument.Main

(I may be in the Trados menu, which I do not use, under something like "correct document"...)

Antonin

Han Li
Cina
Da Inglese a Cinese
+ ...
Do as following Dec 21, 2005

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Hi Han,
I tried saving as text but how can I get the doc back in a word format then?

Creat a new doc file, copy the text to the new doc file. Or open the text file with Word, then save as a Doc file.

Best regards,
Han Li

[Edited at 2005-12-21 14:46]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germania
Membro (2003)
Da Polacco a Tedesco
+ ...
Use TAG Editor instead Dec 21, 2005

Take the clean Word file (without any billingual text) and open it directly in TAG Editor - you will have no problems, either with such strange behaviour, nor with any formatting.

For what happens in your Word file - you could first delete all text marks, than select the whole text but leaving at least the last paragraph mark UNSELECTED (if there are some empty paragraphs at the end of the text, leave them all unselected) and paste it into a new empty Word file. Sometimes this does
... See more
Take the clean Word file (without any billingual text) and open it directly in TAG Editor - you will have no problems, either with such strange behaviour, nor with any formatting.

For what happens in your Word file - you could first delete all text marks, than select the whole text but leaving at least the last paragraph mark UNSELECTED (if there are some empty paragraphs at the end of the text, leave them all unselected) and paste it into a new empty Word file. Sometimes this does help.
Another possibility is to save the doc as rtf, close Word, reopen Word and the rtf document, save it as Word doc with same name as before, again close Word and restart with the doc - this may help to.

Please also read this article from the Trados KB.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Spagna
Da Italiano a Inglese
+ ...
AVVIO ARGOMENTO
Thanks for your help guys. Dec 21, 2005

The next doc seems to be behaving a bit better.
I now have both bookmarks tw4winFrom and tw4winUpto.

SO I think this problem is caused by the tw4winUpto bookmark either not being generated or being deleted.

I tried deleting the tw4winFrom bookmark in the other text and it didn’t work, also saving various cleaner versions, same result.

I’ll definitely consider Tag Editor if it happens again.

Thanks.
Jo

Han Li
Cina
Da Inglese a Cinese
+ ...
Dec 22, 2005

Jo Macdonald wrote:

The next doc seems to be behaving a bit better.
I now have both bookmarks tw4winFrom and tw4winUpto.

SO I think this problem is caused by the tw4winUpto bookmark either not being generated or being deleted.

I tried deleting the tw4winFrom bookmark in the other text and it didn’t work, also saving various cleaner versions, same result.

I’ll definitely consider Tag Editor if it happens again.

Thanks.
Jo

You can delete the tw4winFrom bookmark through : select the range of text you want to delete, press "delete" key or select cut in edit menu.
The bookmark in the next doc seems different from that in the original doc, but it can be cleaned up by trados, too.

Best regards,
Han Li

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange Trados problem

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »