Constance Mannshardt
Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
البرازيل
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
Dec 23, 2005

Hi there!
Working now with Trados 7 and windows XP I was trying to import an "old" TM from T 5.5. So I opened 5.5 (wasn't able to register, couldn't find it) and tryed to open the "old" TM. I got the message above. I can't find the 5 TM-files anymore (search-explorer), although I am sure I havent't removed them. Some other 5.5 TMs I couldn't open, too.
Any idea where they could be?

Sabine Odinga
Sabine Odinga  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
Local time: 12:05
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
TM-Export/Import Dec 24, 2005

Hi Constance,
have you tried exporting the 'old' 5.5 memory and than importing it into a new TM in 7.0. That's probably the easiest way.

Constance Mannshardt
البرازيل
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
I did! Dec 24, 2005

Sabine Odinga wrote:

Hi Constance,
have you tried exporting the 'old' 5.5 memory and than importing it into a new TM in 7.0. That's probably the easiest way.

Oh yes, I did! When I try to open the TM in 5.5 the system gives me the same message. Searching then for the 4 TM-files, I could only find .tmw, although I'm shure I haven't removed any Tm-files!

pcovs
pcovs
الدانمرك
أنجليزي إلى دانماركي
Trados 7 has removed Trados 5.5? Dec 24, 2005

I guess this is what happened. When you installed Trados 7, it removed the old version of Trados - though I don't know why it has also hidden or removed some files?

Anyway, I would try to remove Trados 7 from the system, install Trados 5.5 again, export the TM (hopefully), install Trados 7 again and import the TM.

Hopefully, Trados 7 has not actually deleted any of your old TM files, and then the above procedure should work.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى تشيكي
+ ...
The files either are or are not on the machine Dec 24, 2005

PCovs wrote:

Anyway, I would try to remove Trados 7 from the system, install Trados 5.5 again, export the TM (hopefully), install Trados 7 again and import the TM.

IMHO, uninstalling T7 and reinstalling T5 cannot help. If the files are on the machine, T7 will open them; if they are not, installation of T5 cannot bring them back to life. Perhaps you have some backups of your data?

If the original TM files have really disappeared and you have no backup, your only hope might be to reconstruct the TMs from the cleanup backup files Trados makes when cleaning (if you use Trados+Word - they have the .bak extension) or from the bilingual ttx files (if you use TagEditor). As a matter of fact, I started with Trados at 6.0, so I am not 100% sure if it created bak files in version 5, but I do think so.

HTH

Antonin

pcovs
pcovs
الدانمرك
أنجليزي إلى دانماركي
XP does hide files sometimes. Dec 24, 2005

Antonín Otáhal wrote:

IMHO, uninstalling T7 and reinstalling T5 cannot help. If the files are on the machine, T7 will open them; if they are not, installation of T5 cannot bring them back to life.

I have tried to find several ordinary files, and sometimes even the search function does not show anything, because these files have been hidden by XP.

Perhaps you should try in the search function - advanced search - to search for hidden files as well, when you search. Hopefully this would help you out.

Constance Mannshardt
البرازيل
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
It worked, but Dec 28, 2005

PCovs wrote:

Antonín Otáhal wrote:

IMHO, uninstalling T7 and reinstalling T5 cannot help. If the files are on the machine, T7 will open them; if they are not, installation of T5 cannot bring them back to life.

I have tried to find several ordinary files, and sometimes even the search function does not show anything, because these files have been hidden by XP.

Perhaps you should try in the search function - advanced search - to search for hidden files as well, when you search. Hopefully this would help you out.

Thank you all for your help. I hadn't time to try out earlier, but Antonins suggestion worked for most of the bak-files. For others I got the message: XConvert could not process..... Could this be due to the language settings? I work with pt-pt and pt-br.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The system cannot find the file specified

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »