Thread poster: Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 26, 2005

Looking for tips on how to replace Trados menu on Word.

I know the issue has to do with Acrobat's template chocking on Trados somehow. I managed to activate both Trados and Multiterm toolbars, but the menu is still gone and the Flagman icon is grayed out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

--
Dyran

PS: I am using Adobe Acrobat 7 (full version), Word 2002, and Trados 7.

PS2: I had been using this same setup with Trados 5.5
... See more
Looking for tips on how to replace Trados menu on Word.

I know the issue has to do with Acrobat's template chocking on Trados somehow. I managed to activate both Trados and Multiterm toolbars, but the menu is still gone and the Flagman icon is grayed out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

--
Dyran

PS: I am using Adobe Acrobat 7 (full version), Word 2002, and Trados 7.

PS2: I had been using this same setup with Trados 5.5 with no problems at all.

[Edited at 2005-12-26 23:24]
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:03
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados menu Dec 26, 2005

Please check this link to see if it helps you. Sorry I can't provide you with more details: http://www.proz.com/topic/40395

Best regards,

Elías

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados / Acrobat incompatibility Dec 26, 2005

Elías Sauza wrote:
Please check this link to see if it helps you. Sorry I can't provide you with more details: http://www.proz.com/topic/40395

Thanks for your answer, Elías.

Unfortunately, the fixes in that link refer to Trados toolbar, not Trados menu, which is what I need.

I guess what I am looking for is a solution that will fix the apparent incompatibility between Trados and Acrobat templates since I need both installed in Word.

--
Dyran

[Edited at 2005-12-26 23:25]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 04:03
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Your own new menu, or even better, a form Dec 26, 2005

If you insist you need Trados commands in a menu, you can create your own new menu and put into it any commands you want (from among tw4win... macros).

However, this is quite a lot of work and the result is somewhat "insecure" - namely, Word's approach to menus is rather unstable (any new menu can make your old *custom* menus hard to use in different ways) - that is why I prefer running Trados commands from a form (activated by my own macro, i.e., a button assigned to it) - this way
... See more
If you insist you need Trados commands in a menu, you can create your own new menu and put into it any commands you want (from among tw4win... macros).

However, this is quite a lot of work and the result is somewhat "insecure" - namely, Word's approach to menus is rather unstable (any new menu can make your old *custom* menus hard to use in different ways) - that is why I prefer running Trados commands from a form (activated by my own macro, i.e., a button assigned to it) - this way I can be sure the availability of the commands will not be inujured next time an application creates a new Word menu.

HTH

Antonin

[Edited at 2005-12-26 22:41]

[Edited at 2005-12-26 22:41]
Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados options without Trados menu Dec 26, 2005

Antonín Otáhal wrote:
t is why I prefer running Trados commands from a form (activated by my own macro, i.e., a button assigned to it) - this way I can be sure the availability of the commands will not be inujured next time an application creates a new Word menu.
[/quote]

Do you mean there's an easy way to use Trados menu options (Fix Document, Concordance, etc.) without using the actual Trados menu?

--
Dyran

[Edited at 2005-12-27 01:09]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes, of course Dec 27, 2005

Dyran Altenburg wrote:

Do you mean there's an easy way to use Trados menu options (Fix Document, Concordance, etc.) without using the actual Trados menu?

--
Dyran

[Edited at 2005-12-27 01:09]

I am just not sure my understanding of "easy" is the same as yours

For example, an easy way of adding button for "fix document" is:

- right click on any toolbar, choose "Customize" in the local menu;

- on the "Commands" tab, choose the ctagory "Macros" (left of the large fields)

- browse the large field on the right ("Commands") to find "TemplateProject.tw4winResetDocument.Main"

- left click on that item and drag it to one of your toolbars

- it probably appears that as a large button with the complete text; right click on it and choose "default style"

- now the button has the "generic button image" - when you right click on this image, you can select "change button image" and choose on of the preset button faces, or "edit button image" and change the button image any way you like

Antonin

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What happens if you deactivate Acrobat? Dec 27, 2005

Hi Dyran,
Does the Trados menu reappear if you deactivate the PDFmaker template?

Best regards,
Ralf

Dyran Altenburg (X)
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a good fix Dec 27, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Hi Dyran,
Does the Trados menu reappear if you deactivate the PDFmaker template?

No, it only reappears after I completely uninstall Acrobat 7.

--
Dyran

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disappearing Trados menu

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »