Thread poster: Angela Synnot
Angela Synnot
Angela Synnot  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2021

Please would you help with understanding how to type straight apostrophes on a qwerty keyboard -both single and double stroke ones?

If I was on Word I would use the insert special characters function but I am using eztitles (subtitling software) and I need to know where these keys are on my keyboard.)

I have been told I must use these for a project.

I also wonder if there is some advice here on learning thoroughly about where to find particular characters o
... See more
Please would you help with understanding how to type straight apostrophes on a qwerty keyboard -both single and double stroke ones?

If I was on Word I would use the insert special characters function but I am using eztitles (subtitling software) and I need to know where these keys are on my keyboard.)

I have been told I must use these for a project.

I also wonder if there is some advice here on learning thoroughly about where to find particular characters on the keyboard as required, and use keyboard shortcuts more easily. Maybe someone might recommend a short course?
I don´t know if a Windows course would cover something like this or under what name I might look for such a course on thoroughly learning to use the keyboard?
Also a good short course on English pronunciation at the same time would be helpful as I really want to develop my translation skills.

I hope it all makes sense!

[Edited at 2021-08-26 16:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-08-26 16:08 GMT]
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:30
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Similar topics Aug 26, 2021

There's a discussion on the topic here at I want straight apostrophes! and here How to insert a straight apostrophe instead of a curly one?

Angela Synnot
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
keyboard issues Aug 26, 2021

Thank you Andriy. I did have a look and I saw this answer but I didn´t understand the answer to be honest:

"Keyboard language Oct 13, 2016

The following might be of use, but I'm not sure:
Pressing Alt+Shift on the keyboard (in Windows) will cycle through different keyboard language layouts. In my case it changes the character produced by Shift+2 (normally the double quote) and a few others."

[Edited at 2021-08-26 16:47 GMT]

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
Local time: 14:30
German to French
+ ...
Try Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (MSKLC) Aug 26, 2021

Hello Angela,

a little program totally unknown, but which really works on all the versions of Windows and which answers all the needs of customization of a keyboard is called Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator and you can find it here :

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=102134

For a better understanding, I recomm
... See more
Hello Angela,

a little program totally unknown, but which really works on all the versions of Windows and which answers all the needs of customization of a keyboard is called Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator and you can find it here :

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=102134

For a better understanding, I recommend this excellent little video by our friend CATguruEN, which explains in clear language an equivalent problem (although obviously in reverse).:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Gai7gRb5k

Enjoy!
Collapse

Endre Both

Angela Synnot
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Straight apostrophes on Word Aug 26, 2021

Thank you Adrien. I will have a look at this.

And just to add to my answer above. My issue is that I am using eztitles. I see there is some discussion on the threads Andriy mentions on how to do this in Word, so there must be a way to figure it out on Word, then find and replace in eztitles after pasting the characters from Word. I`ll keep trying to work it out.

At first I thought there would be a way to do it directly from the keyboard like a shortcut key.

... See more
Thank you Adrien. I will have a look at this.

And just to add to my answer above. My issue is that I am using eztitles. I see there is some discussion on the threads Andriy mentions on how to do this in Word, so there must be a way to figure it out on Word, then find and replace in eztitles after pasting the characters from Word. I`ll keep trying to work it out.

At first I thought there would be a way to do it directly from the keyboard like a shortcut key.

I also wondered how other translators have learned to know their keyboards inside out and wanted to train on this a little more.

Thank you again.

[Edited at 2021-08-26 17:41 GMT]
Collapse

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:30
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
A simple solution Aug 26, 2021

1- Enable Numlock (press the NUMLK key) on the numeric keypad of your keyboard
2- Hold down the left ALT key + type 0039 for a straight apostrophe (') and 0034 for a straight quote (") - they will appear when you release the ALT key; should work in any Windows environment/program

Andriy Yasharov
Endre Both

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:30
English to German
Check app settings Aug 27, 2021

All keyboard layouts I know insert straight quotes by default, and what people usually have trouble with is inserting curly quotes. If your problem is the other way around, it is likely that the application you are working with replaces straight quotes with curly ones when you enter them, and you can probably disable that setting.

More generally, learning Alt+Numpad codes and creating your own layouts as suggested by Recep and Adrien above is a great way to help you use language-spe
... See more
All keyboard layouts I know insert straight quotes by default, and what people usually have trouble with is inserting curly quotes. If your problem is the other way around, it is likely that the application you are working with replaces straight quotes with curly ones when you enter them, and you can probably disable that setting.

More generally, learning Alt+Numpad codes and creating your own layouts as suggested by Recep and Adrien above is a great way to help you use language-specific characters and typographical symbols. (But this won't help you if the software you're working with replaces what you enter with something else.)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

using straight apostrophes on qwerty keyboard

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »