A.Đapo  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 20:09
Member (2007)
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
Aug 11, 2006

Hello everyone
I have a problem with Address Book in Outlook Express (blue and white one)
I was editing addresses in the Address Book and suddenly all of the disappeared. When I tried to insert some of them again, it reported that they are already in. When I for to Find: I can find all of them but when I open Address book there is no list.
Anyone has any ideas?
Thank you
Amra

Jack Becconsall
Jack Becconsall
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:09
German to English
Try this approach to Outlook Express (from a computer mag) Aug 11, 2006

Amra, I have no idea what may have gone wrong with your Outlook Express, but I remembered having seen something in the problems pages of a computer magazine that might help. I have copied it and here it is:

SECRET ADDRESS BOOK
I use Microsoft Outlook.When I compose a message and click on 'To' with a name, Outlook produces a list of all entries for this name, including some that are now wrong and have since been corrected in the address book. Is there a hidden address book, and
... See more
Amra, I have no idea what may have gone wrong with your Outlook Express, but I remembered having seen something in the problems pages of a computer magazine that might help. I have copied it and here it is:

SECRET ADDRESS BOOK
I use Microsoft Outlook.When I compose a message and click on 'To' with a name, Outlook produces a list of all entries for this name, including some that are now wrong and have since been corrected in the address book. Is there a hidden address book, and can it be edited or deleted? Peter Joiner

There is, in effect, a hidden address book for Outlook. It's the AutoComplete feature, and it's a list of every address, right or wrong, that you have typed in the 'To' field. You can delete these lists by navigating to the folder C:\ Documents and Settings\\ Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and deleting all the files of type NK2 that you find there.
Alternatively, use the Windows Search tool to find all of the *.nk2 files, then simply delete the one with your name on it. These files are stored in a hidden folder, so you may need to enable the Explorer option 'Show hidden files and folders' before you can find them.
Some people actually prefer using AutoComplete to the address book. If you're one of those, you may be interested in the shareware utility Owtlook Desktop - download it from www.dcs-imaging.com/products.htm. This tool lets you edit the AutoComplete entries to remove invalid addresses. It also allows you to print them and export them to another computer.
(From "PC Advisor", July 2005)

Best wishes, Jack Becconsall
Collapse

Galina F
Galina F
United States
Local time: 14:09
English to Russian
+ ...
hi Amra Aug 12, 2006

I have an idea: look at the left section of the address book (I don't have it before my eyes - I'm using another program at home) you might see several folders with addresses. One might be smth like General contacts. If you have several folders over there just try to click on each of them. It happened to me to save the contact in one folder and while the other folder was active I couldn't see it. I hope it helps.
Best wishes,
Galina

mrr2ro
mrr2ro
United States
Local time: 13:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
OutLook Exprtess Aug 12, 2006

It will help to know what version of outlook express you are using.

Open outlook, go to the help menu, select “About Outlook Express” at the bottom of the menu, it will open a window with the version number.

Also what version of windows and service pack you are using.

Microsoft changed contact books / address books formats and between different cersions of windows.

Make sure that in your preferences you are using the address book with your
... See more
It will help to know what version of outlook express you are using.

Open outlook, go to the help menu, select “About Outlook Express” at the bottom of the menu, it will open a window with the version number.

Also what version of windows and service pack you are using.

Microsoft changed contact books / address books formats and between different cersions of windows.

Make sure that in your preferences you are using the address book with your addresses as the default book. You can have multiple address books, and outlook can query all of them but ONLY display the default / active one.

To do this you will Open your address book, then you will see a window with 2 columns, the left column have the folders / address books, and when you selct them, you should be able to see the contacts in the selected address book in the right column.

Regards

A. Pinzon.
Collapse

A.Đapo
A.Đapo  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 20:09
Member (2007)
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Aug 12, 2006

especially Jack. I did what you said and then imported my back up address book and everything is Ok now.
Have a lovely weekend

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook Express

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »