WFC 5.92 - how to translate comments
Thread poster: Nathaniel2
Nathaniel2
Nathaniel2
Local time: 15:42
Slovak to English
Oct 12, 2014

Hi all,

Is there a way to translate comments in WFC? I luckily saved my work with several different file names so I could play around with this, but the client wants the document today and I've not come up with anything. I tried cleaning up the file and then showing original with markup and final with markup, but only 3 of the 17 comments were transferred into the cleaned up file. This was probably something I should have selected or opted to do at the start of the translation, but
... See more
Hi all,

Is there a way to translate comments in WFC? I luckily saved my work with several different file names so I could play around with this, but the client wants the document today and I've not come up with anything. I tried cleaning up the file and then showing original with markup and final with markup, but only 3 of the 17 comments were transferred into the cleaned up file. This was probably something I should have selected or opted to do at the start of the translation, but as I did not I'm now scrambling to find a solution. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm prepared, however, to just print out the original file with the comments and input them manually into the translated file, but of course a miracle solution wouldn't be bad, either. Thank you!
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:42
Finnish to French
Some CAT hopping needed Oct 12, 2014

WFC won't let you translate comments AFAIK, not even the current version (6.13) you should be using instead of the age-old 5.92m.

You would have to resort to some creative CAT hopping, like using WFP in the way described in this video.

However, WFP isn't very good at dealing with comments in Word documents either. Let's take the followi
... See more
WFC won't let you translate comments AFAIK, not even the current version (6.13) you should be using instead of the age-old 5.92m.

You would have to resort to some creative CAT hopping, like using WFP in the way described in this video.

However, WFP isn't very good at dealing with comments in Word documents either. Let's take the following sample document with a comment in it:

Here is what it looks like once opened in WFP:

As you can see, the logical sentence is cut into two parts by the comment inside that sentence. Not good, especially since WFP won't let you join the three segments.

At least, you can use WFP in this way in order to pick up all comments in one go. If there are lots of them, this certainly beats having to copy/paste them one by one in another document. You'd still have to paste the translated comments back into the translated document, one by one.

If you have access to memoQ, you can use it in a similar way as the CAT hopping scenario described in the above link. memoQ is better than WFP at dealing with comments in Word documents, as you can see here:

Just export the memoQ document to two-column RTF (memoQ's equivalent to WFP's bilingual review), translate the right-hand side column in Word (with WFC, if you want), import back into memoQ and export the translated Word document complete with all its translated comments. Of course, you might just as well do the entire translation in memoQ, but it's up to you.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
CAT hopping indeed Oct 12, 2014

Nathaniel2 wrote:
Is there a way to translate comments in WFC?

I know of no way directly.

If you're skilled at tagging XML, then you can save your DOC file as DOCX, unzip it, and tag-and-translate the comments.xml file, which contains only your comments, and then rezip it up.

Apart from the two tools mentioned by Dominique, you can also use OmegaT. Simply drop your translated file into the /source/ folder of OmegaT, and you'll find the comments at the very end of the document. Translate only those (don't put anything in any of the other segments), and then create the target file by pressing Ctrl+D.

OmegaT doesn't offer an easy way to see which comment belongs to which piece of text (you can see comment tags in the other segments, but you can't see which tag belong to which comment).

Nathaniel2
Nathaniel2
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 13, 2014

for your suggestions. Considering that I'm a very basic CAT tool user, most of what you said went right over my head. But you did answer my question, and for that I thank you.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:42
Finnish to French
Overwrite or copy/paste Oct 13, 2014

Nathaniel2 wrote:
I'm a very basic CAT tool user

If so, translating them manually (by overwriting the source text) is probably the best solution. Or copying/pasting them in a separate document, translating them (with Wordfast) in that documents and copying/pasting them back on top of the existing comments.

CAT hopping is for tech-savvy people who don't mind fiddling around a little bit.

Jaime Guitart Vilches
Jaime Guitart Vilches
Denmark
English to Spanish
+ ...
Solution to the issue Mar 24, 2022

I know this is an old post, but I was having the same problem and found an easy solution that works, so I'm posting here in case it's useful to someone coming after me:

https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Marking_Text_as_Untranslatable_in_Wordfast_Pro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFC 5.92 - how to translate comments

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »