libhf
libhf
United States
Local time: 14:23
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 1, 2022

Greetings,

WFPro3 on my laptop (Dell 17 7737 - 16 Gig Memory - Produced c. 2014) works super fast. I very rarely have any issues with performance.

However, on my desktop (Dell XPS8700 - 32 GIG Memory - Produced c. 2013) it starts fast after the first install, but then it slows down gradually, to the point where I have to do a clean re-install. I have the same apps running in both computers. The only apps that i use when translating are: MS Word, Google Chrome, Firefox,
... See more
Greetings,

WFPro3 on my laptop (Dell 17 7737 - 16 Gig Memory - Produced c. 2014) works super fast. I very rarely have any issues with performance.

However, on my desktop (Dell XPS8700 - 32 GIG Memory - Produced c. 2013) it starts fast after the first install, but then it slows down gradually, to the point where I have to do a clean re-install. I have the same apps running in both computers. The only apps that i use when translating are: MS Word, Google Chrome, Firefox, Email (Postbox).

Specific examples: Alt-Down
TM Lookup

Note:
-----
1) Sizes of TMs and Glossaries used:

Glossary - only one: 1404 terms
3 TMs totalling 109,883 TUs

2) Spell checking is disabled
3) Amount of memory being used: 1024 MB
4) Perform MT manually
5) Transcheck selected is for Tags

I don't know what other information I should provide.

Has anyone encountered such a problem? If this issue has been addressed in another thread, can someone provide the link?

Thank you very much in advance

Hikmat

[Edited at 2022-05-01 04:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-05-01 04:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-05-01 04:48 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Windows version May 1, 2022

Do you have the same version of Windows on both computers?

libhf
libhf
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same versions of Win10 Pro May 1, 2022

Thanks for your question. Yes, I do. Both are of the same release and both are updated simultaneously. If it helps I will try to obtain the types of processors for each computer and post it here.
Thanks again,
Hikmat

Stefan Stefanov
Stefan Stefanov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 21:23
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Antivirus May 15, 2022

Open Task Manager. Then start Wordfast. Observe processor load. If you see a process by your antivirus using up a lot of processor power, then that's what's slowing Wordfast startup.

For example, Wordfast Pro 7.1 (latest version) starts up in about 30 seconds on my laptop and about 15 seconds on my desktop. At some point my AV (McAfee) decided it would scan the Java process, grinding it almost to a halt: Wordfast Pro takes starts 2–3 minutes to start. The same applies to the old W
... See more
Open Task Manager. Then start Wordfast. Observe processor load. If you see a process by your antivirus using up a lot of processor power, then that's what's slowing Wordfast startup.

For example, Wordfast Pro 7.1 (latest version) starts up in about 30 seconds on my laptop and about 15 seconds on my desktop. At some point my AV (McAfee) decided it would scan the Java process, grinding it almost to a halt: Wordfast Pro takes starts 2–3 minutes to start. The same applies to the old Wordfast Pro 3, of course.

Adding the Wordfast Pro.exe, javaw.exe, browsercore64.exe processes as exclusions in the AV real-time scan exclusion list did help – but only for a while. McAfee seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes WFP starts in ~40 seconds, sometimes in ~3 minutes.

If it's your AV that's slowing down Wordfast, then try adding its processes as exclusions. This might help. Don't forget to read the Wordfast Wiki, too. There are other suggestions there.
Collapse

libhf
libhf
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is certainly worth a try! May 16, 2022

That is a very worthy explanation indeed. I will do this once I am done with a project with a tight deadline on my laptop.
Thanks
Hikmat

Stefan Stefanov wrote:

For example, Wordfast Pro 7.1 (latest version) starts up in about 30 seconds on my laptop and about 15 seconds on my desktop. At some point my AV (McAfee) decided it would scan the Java process, grinding it almost to a halt: Wordfast Pro takes starts 2–3 minutes to start. The same applies to the old Wordfast Pro 3, of course.

Adding the Wordfast Pro.exe, javaw.exe, browsercore64.exe processes as exclusions in the AV real-time scan exclusion list did help – but only for a while. McAfee seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes WFP starts in ~40 seconds, sometimes in ~3 minutes.

If it's your AV that's slowing down Wordfast, then try adding its processes as exclusions. This might help. Don't forget to read the Wordfast Wiki, too. There are other suggestions there.

Stefan Stefanov
Stefan Stefanov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 21:23
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
New AV Jun 1, 2022

In the meantime, I scrapped McAfee and installed Norton 360. Zero launch delay issues since then. WFP 7.2 starts in 9.5 seconds on my desktop computer, beating any previous times under McAfee.

Hikmat Faraj wrote:

That is a very worthy explanation indeed. I will do this once I am done with a project with a tight deadline on my laptop.
Thanks
Hikmat

Stefan Stefanov wrote:

Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:23
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
sfc /scannow command Jun 1, 2022

Search for 'command prompt'
Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter key.
Let the command complete and then reboot the machine. If issue still persists, perform clean boot.

I found out that many issues that occur with complex and massive OS-es, as Windows 10-11, are, and with our CAT-s, dissapear after this very deep corrective & repair scan.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 3 very fast only after a new installation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »