Thread poster: tronni
tronni
tronni  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:15
Member (2007)
English to Finnish
Aug 23, 2005

Hello,

I have a simple problem but I need to work around it. I somehow managed to create an extra segment between the source and target segments. This segment is a mess and should be deleted. However, it is protected by Wordfast. The message I get tells me to toggle protection on/off with ctrl+alt+F12.

However, using the F12 function key in my HP laptop sends it to sleep immediately! This is stupid, but I don't know how to turn off this feature in my laptop.
... See more
Hello,

I have a simple problem but I need to work around it. I somehow managed to create an extra segment between the source and target segments. This segment is a mess and should be deleted. However, it is protected by Wordfast. The message I get tells me to toggle protection on/off with ctrl+alt+F12.

However, using the F12 function key in my HP laptop sends it to sleep immediately! This is stupid, but I don't know how to turn off this feature in my laptop.

Is there any other way to toggle segment protection on/off in Wordfast? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Tapani Ronni
Collapse

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:15
English to Czech
yes, it's possible Aug 23, 2005

Yes, you can turn segment protection off in Wordfast. If you have a recent version of Wordfast, you'll find this option in Setup | Segments. It's the last item on the list, called "Protect segment delimiters from accidential deletion". Older versions will have this option on a similar place.

By the way, a simpler way to delete the unwanted text might be to cut it (select it and press Ctrl+X). This operation is not disabled by the protection scheme, I think.

[Edited at 2005-08
... See more
Yes, you can turn segment protection off in Wordfast. If you have a recent version of Wordfast, you'll find this option in Setup | Segments. It's the last item on the list, called "Protect segment delimiters from accidential deletion". Older versions will have this option on a similar place.

By the way, a simpler way to delete the unwanted text might be to cut it (select it and press Ctrl+X). This operation is not disabled by the protection scheme, I think.

[Edited at 2005-08-23 20:33]
Collapse

Edward L. Crosby III
Edward L. Crosby III  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:15
German to English
+ ...
Does your laptop have a function key? Sep 6, 2005

Tronni,

ing the F12 function key in my HP laptop sends it to sleep immediately! This is stupid, but I don't know how to turn off this feature in my laptop.

Is there any other way to toggle segment protection on/off in Wordfast? Thanks in advance! [/quote]

I'm using an old version of Wordfast (one of the last free ones), and the Ctrl-Alt-F12 key combination is the only way I see to toggle segment protection on/off, however you may still be able to use that key combination on your laptop if you also press the "function" key ("Fn"). My laptop has alternate functions assigned to many of the keys on the keyboard, including most of the function keys (F4 thru F10), and to access the alternate function of each key you must also press the function key, which on my Compaq keyboard is in the lower left-hand corner. If your F12 key has multiple functions assigned to it, you may be able to press Ctrl-Alt-Fn-F12 to toggle the segment protection feature.

Failing that, check your on-line help menu and see if you can re-assign sleep mode to another key or key combination.

Best,

Ed

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:15
English to Spanish
when using Control+Alt+F12 ... Dec 30, 2016

I don't see when the protection of delimiters is OFF or ON. I do not see any visual cue as a result of using that key combination.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast toggle protection on/off

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »