Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 18, 2004

G'day

I'm looking for a freeware TBX editor or TBX writer or TBX creator. TBX = TermBase eXchange format, as proposed by LISA.

I'm the virtual editor of an active terminology group and we are looking into the possibilities of reformatting our existing Foldoc-based glossary format to something more useful. And TBX would undoubtably be useful... if I can find a freeware editor for it.

I'm using Windows 95 and Windows 2000, although a working, user-friendly
... See more
G'day

I'm looking for a freeware TBX editor or TBX writer or TBX creator. TBX = TermBase eXchange format, as proposed by LISA.

I'm the virtual editor of an active terminology group and we are looking into the possibilities of reformatting our existing Foldoc-based glossary format to something more useful. And TBX would undoubtably be useful... if I can find a freeware editor for it.

I'm using Windows 95 and Windows 2000, although a working, user-friendly TBX editor in Linux would suffice.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2004-02-18 15:21]
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TBX editor Feb 18, 2004

TBX is undoubtedly the emerging standard format for terminology so I think your approach is the right one.

I don't think there's a freeware TBX editor though. I don't even think there's a freeware TMX editor - writing one is one of my pet projects in fact.

There are several products that are "nearly there" though and might be modified. For example, OmegaT is to all intents and purposes a TMX editor, so if you can find a friendly Java programmer you might be able to adap
... See more
TBX is undoubtedly the emerging standard format for terminology so I think your approach is the right one.

I don't think there's a freeware TBX editor though. I don't even think there's a freeware TMX editor - writing one is one of my pet projects in fact.

There are several products that are "nearly there" though and might be modified. For example, OmegaT is to all intents and purposes a TMX editor, so if you can find a friendly Java programmer you might be able to adapt it.

Alternatively, since TBX (and TMX) are XML formats, you could simply use an XML editor. There are plenty of those to choose from. Xerlin and tkxmlive are two I use on Linux which also work on Windows. Again, you might be able to adapt them. You may not even need to do any programming, just a little configuration.

Yet another approach would be to write a simple parser (in any programming language you like - you can probably even do it with Word macros) to convert TBX into some other format, such as a database format, then manage the data in a database (e.g. MySQL).

Marc
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some options available Feb 18, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:
Alternatively, since TBX (and TMX) are XML formats, you could simply use an XML editor. ... Yet another approach would be to write a simple parser (in any programming language you like - you can probably even do it with Word macros) to convert TBX into some other format...

I have Peter's XML Editor. It's a fine tool, but TBX is of no use to me if it makes editing terminology *more* complicated. I don't know if you're familiar with the Foldoc format, but it's a very simple format which you can edit in any text editor and which is user readable (and l-user readable too).

http://www.iol.ie/~pxe/

AFAIK Wordfast can export a glossary to TBX (correct me if I'm wrong), but then I'd have to reformat my existing format to Wordfast format first (which is also a very simple format -- tab delimited with three fields).

Many people say TBX is the thing of the future, but it's taking an awful long time for editors to become available for something which is supposed to revolutionise the way we share terminology.

PS. I have actually read the entire TBX spec... I wonder who else can say that?

[Edited at 2004-02-18 19:52]

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
A TMX editor is being made Jul 14, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

I don't even think there's a freeware TMX editor - writing one is one of my pet projects in fact.

A freeware TMX editor is in the making, namely Olifant by Yves Savourel. Join rwstools at yahoogroups.com to find out more.

HTH

Piotr

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clickable URL Jul 15, 2004

syntaxpb wrote:
A freeware TMX editor is in the making, namely Olifant by Yves Savourel. Join rwstools at yahoogroups.com to find out more.

The URL is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rwstools/messages (see message 104 and further). It seems that you must have .net installed. Do you have to have Rainbow 4 installed as well?

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Don't know Aug 13, 2004

The URL is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rwstools/messages (see message 104 and further). It seems that you must have .net installed. Do you have to have Rainbow 4 installed as well?

I think it's best to ask on the forum you mentioned. I did not try it without Rainbow 4, because I always have Rainbow linstalled

Regards,

Piotr

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
TBX and TMX Oct 11, 2004

TMX has coming along over the years starting through the OTELO industry-focused project (under SAP) and then being taken under the wings of OASIS by LISA.
It is slow in being adopted and tested by all TM vendors, but there is a push for it because a large portion of TM users (ie, freelance translators) do not want to be forced to have to purchase the TM tool used by their client or outsourcing agency.

TBX on the other hand started out as the SALT project. It's main contributor
... See more
TMX has coming along over the years starting through the OTELO industry-focused project (under SAP) and then being taken under the wings of OASIS by LISA.
It is slow in being adopted and tested by all TM vendors, but there is a push for it because a large portion of TM users (ie, freelance translators) do not want to be forced to have to purchase the TM tool used by their client or outsourcing agency.

TBX on the other hand started out as the SALT project. It's main contributors have been Alan Melby, Gerhard Budin and Andre Le Meur for the MARTIF stuff. When I was Tech Director at the European Language Resources Distribution Agency, they had set up initiatives to get it adopted in industry, but over the past 5 years I've not really seen that it has really gone very far.
TBX, as well as the OLIF project (open lexicon for interoperability between different language processing systems) has met a different type of resistance that is difficult to overcome. If the language tool vendors (Terminology tools, MT tools, etc) show how their tools categorize the entries, then they risk showing the secret of how they do things. This is much more risky than the TMX initiative from a business point of view for software development and distribution.

The key links for info are:
http://www.lisa.org/tbx/
http://www.lisa.org/standards/
http://www.lisa.org/term/

These all now fall underneath the OSCAR (Open Standards for Container/Content Allowing Re-use) program:
http://www.lisa.org/oscar/

Jeff

Jeff Allen
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/
http://www.geocities.com/mtpostediting/

[Edited at 2004-10-12 12:42]

[Edited at 2004-12-29 13:25]
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
There is a tbx editor here Feb 4, 2005

Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:

G'day

I'm looking for a freeware TBX editor

Not freeware, but anyway...

http://www.heartsome.net/EN/purchase.html

It has an interesting feature, term extraction from documents, and supports lists of stop words.

Piotr

Nichi Ng'inja
Nichi Ng'inja
Slovenia
Slovenian to English
Free CSV-TBX converter Mar 20, 2005

There's a free CSV-TBX converter at the website below. Works too.

http://www.maxprograms.com/EN/home.html

TBX
TBX
English
Anything new? Apr 19, 2006

Any new developments with TBX editors since 2005?

Daniel G Rodriguez
Daniel G Rodriguez
China
Local time: 12:33
Chinese to English
open source TBX editor Jul 27, 2009

Any news since 2006? I'm looking for an open source TBX editor.

thank you,

-- Daniel

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Much appreciated, Jeff! Jul 27, 2009

Jeff Allen wrote:

TBX on the other hand started out as the SALT project. It's main contributors have been Alan Melby, Gerhard Budin and Andre Le Meur for the MARTIF stuff.
etc

Blueray vs HD-HDD in the making (sg)?

Note SDL TRADOS moving in the XLIFF direction with Studio 2009.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 06:33
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Xbench? Jul 27, 2009

It sopports TBX...

Christo Petkov
Christo Petkov
Local time: 06:33
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Try with Virtaal Apr 5, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

G'day

I'm using Windows 95 and Windows 2000, although a working, user-friendly TBX editor in Linux would suffice.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2004-02-18 15:21]

Virtaal (without OmegaT) can edit both TBX and TMX and runs under Windows Linux and MAC OS.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for freeware TBX editor

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »