Poll: Would you work with translation agencies which use project management systems (Eg: Smartling)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 21

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you work with translation agencies which use project management systems (Eg: Smartling)?".

This poll was originally submitted by Bangyou Xiang. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Apr 21

I avoid them as much as I can. I refuse to work with those where you don’t need to issue your own invoices, but what I hate most is that when I’m starting to be comfortable using their system it’s when they decide to change to a new one, which is always less user-friendly than the previous one...

neilmac
Iulia Parvu
AlDI Afriansyah
Wolfgang Schoene
Christine Andersen

Bangyou Xiang
Bangyou Xiang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:32
Member (2019)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I won't work with these clients Apr 22

I created this poll because I saw colleagues complaining about these systems which function on a "first come first served" basis. I was surprised that 61 percent selected "Yes". Maybe that's because the question was not clear? Due to the character restrictions, I cannot provide more information on this question.

[修改时间: 2024-04-22 12:27 GMT]

[修改时间: 2024-04-22 14:35 GMT]

Patricia Prevost

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 00:32
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Clarification Apr 22

Bangyou Xiang wrote:

This started this poll because I saw colleagues complaining about these systems which function on a "first come first served" basis. I was surprised that 61 percent selected "Yes". Maybe that's because the question was not clear? Due to the character restrictions, I cannot provide more information on this question.

Do you mean clients who send jobs to several translators through their (more or less) automated system and assign the job to the fastest responder?

If so, I have 1 client that works that way (pools of translators per end client that are treated equally) and I must admit that I was a bit offended at first because responding to a job offer after 2 minutes and noticing somebody else already took it it gives you the feeling that you are just a number. But in the end business is business, and in my case the jobs are nice and the pay is swift. So I put aside my pride and just make sure that I react fast enough to get the jobs if I want them (meaning reacting immediately, within seconds). And in 95% of the cases I actually do have them.

Elena Feriani
Kate Perak
Zea_Mays
Christopher Schröder
Bangyou Xiang

Iulia Parvu
Iulia Parvu  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
English to Romanian
+ ...
No... Apr 22

I like to have a look at the source files before accepting a job. I care about quality and I know my limitations (for example, in the medical and technical fields), so accepting a job with the speed of a hawk to make sure I'm first is not for me.

I do, however, work with agencies that use project management systems in which I'm the only translator for my language pairs.

Christine Andersen

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
N/A Apr 22

Nowadays I don't really work with agencies, and would be much less likely to do so anyway if they used "project management systems", which simply sounds like added complication to me.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes Apr 22

I work with one client who uses Smartling, and there is no "first come, first served" dynamic involved. When the same content needs translation in multiple languages, a project management system is among the best tools you can use. In the case of large websites you _need_ them.
Another client uses a "first come, first served" system, but a) they found a method to scatter the jobs a bit fairer among the (quite many) transtlators (I think they also use quality scores in this), b) rates are a
... See more
I work with one client who uses Smartling, and there is no "first come, first served" dynamic involved. When the same content needs translation in multiple languages, a project management system is among the best tools you can use. In the case of large websites you _need_ them.
Another client uses a "first come, first served" system, but a) they found a method to scatter the jobs a bit fairer among the (quite many) transtlators (I think they also use quality scores in this), b) rates are acceptable and c) working with the agency is pleasant. Once you claimed a job, you can look at the source copy, and if you think you won't be able to complete or you don't like it, you can reject it.

Both systems have very useful query features, where questions and answers are available to the entire translator pool.

These systems require a bit of adaptation, but once you are familiar with them, the process is quite smooth.
Of course, in order to get a good experience, the agency needs to use these tools appropriately.
Collapse

Liena Vijupe
Bangyou Xiang

Cécile Bénédic
Cécile Bénédic  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
... Apr 22

Bangyou Xiang wrote:

This started this poll because I saw colleagues complaining about these systems which function on a "first come first served" basis. I was surprised that 61 percent selected "Yes". Maybe that's because the question was not clear? Due to the character restrictions, I cannot provide more information on this question.

The question was unfortunately not clear in that sense. I have many clients who use PMSs, but it's really rare they send projects "for the taking", on a "first come first basis". They send me projects, I can accept or decline. If I decline they would then ask another translator. Some use those system but would still send an email to know my availability beforehand.

Zea_Mays
Liena Vijupe
Becca Resnik
Kevin Fulton
Luis M. Sosa
Kay Denney

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not clear... Apr 22

Bangyou Xiang wrote:

I have just one client who uses this “first come, first served” method. If I happen to have no other job, I very occasionally accept it, but I am no runner and I don’t want to be “chosen” on the basis of my ability to quickly click on the mouse.

Christopher Schröder
Iulia Parvu
Liena Vijupe
Wolfgang Schoene
Bangyou Xiang
Michele Fauble

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Other Apr 22

Not sure what a project management system would involve, but paradoxically, it seems that the less manned and more automated a customer workflow, the lower the time-equivalent rate offered. Perhaps increasing automation increases costs exponentially, and translators are enrolled to fund automation densification (and input data).

Some of my agency clients have platforms of some sort to down-/upload projects and/or upload invoices, but I don't work with web-based CAT tools or automate
... See more
Not sure what a project management system would involve, but paradoxically, it seems that the less manned and more automated a customer workflow, the lower the time-equivalent rate offered. Perhaps increasing automation increases costs exponentially, and translators are enrolled to fund automation densification (and input data).

Some of my agency clients have platforms of some sort to down-/upload projects and/or upload invoices, but I don't work with web-based CAT tools or automated job notifications. More generally, anything that makes me waste time is unwelcome.

As regards the first-come, first-served approach, if the customer wants to work that way, so be it. They de facto priorize the most responsive providers. After routing job notifications to the junk folder or disabling the "feature" in the platform settings, that "customer" becomes a "non-customer". No big deal.

Philippe
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Liena Vijupe
Thayenga
Bangyou Xiang

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
It does Apr 22

Philippe Etienne wrote:
Perhaps increasing automation increases costs exponentially, and translators are enrolled to fund automation densification (and input data).

It does, as they have to buy (usually a subscription) for the automation system.

Philippe Etienne wrote:
As regards the first-come, first-served approach, if the customer wants to work that way, so be it. They de facto priorize the most responsive providers. After routing job notifications to the junk folder or disabling the "feature" in the platform settings, that "customer" becomes a "non-customer". No big deal.

Philippe

I understand they are an agency, need fast flows and fast money making. But there is a reasonable limit to everything. There were instances where I would respond within 2-5 minutes and would get a reply how the job had already been taken. That's why I just disregard crowd emails, and also mostly disregard offers where a CV is mentioned as all they want is to source my CV, while lying about a potential job.

Bangyou Xiang

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you work with translation agencies which use project management systems (Eg: Smartling)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »