Bank charges for Eurocheques
Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 10:08
German to English
+ ...
May 16, 2003

I am based in Germany and most of my customers are either German or Swiss. I have one particular customer in France who insists on paying my invoices by Eurocheque. However, when I received payment for my first job (three months later!), I saw that my customer’s French bank had charged a whopping EUR 50 and my bank EUR 15, making a considerable hole in my fee of EUR 1,000. As I understand it, I should not have to assume the French bank costs – am I correct in assuming this?

... See more
I am based in Germany and most of my customers are either German or Swiss. I have one particular customer in France who insists on paying my invoices by Eurocheque. However, when I received payment for my first job (three months later!), I saw that my customer’s French bank had charged a whopping EUR 50 and my bank EUR 15, making a considerable hole in my fee of EUR 1,000. As I understand it, I should not have to assume the French bank costs – am I correct in assuming this?

I’d be interested to know how other translators in Germany receive payment from customers in France, where, unlike Germany, credit transfer is the exception rather than the rule. Is it worth opening an account in France for French customers (about 5% of my income at the moment)? Does anyone have any other advice on this matter? Thanks, Ian.

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Eurocheques are outdated May 16, 2003

...which is why the very concept of Eurocheques (i.e. a cheque backed by a payment guarantee) has been abandoned by the banks.

I can see no reason why your customer shouldn\'t be able to instruct a bank-to-bank payment (other than they probably don\'t have online banking access, and don\'t want to go to their bank...). On top of this, the cost for cross-border payments will come done by 1 July of this year, provided the IBAN and SWIFT code are used. (Do you indicate these co
... See more
...which is why the very concept of Eurocheques (i.e. a cheque backed by a payment guarantee) has been abandoned by the banks.

I can see no reason why your customer shouldn\'t be able to instruct a bank-to-bank payment (other than they probably don\'t have online banking access, and don\'t want to go to their bank...). On top of this, the cost for cross-border payments will come done by 1 July of this year, provided the IBAN and SWIFT code are used. (Do you indicate these codes on your invoices?)

Whether or not you should bear your customer\'s costs is subject to negotiation with your customer.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:08
English to Thai
+ ...
Non-Reasonable bank charge for amount below $100 May 17, 2003

I also have bad experience.

Each agency in Taiwan, Singapore, El Salvadore and China paid a small amount of less that $100 by check although I suggested Paypal or My Wallet or a bank in Thailand. I had to pay totally $40 before getting the amount in 40 days from the oversea banks.

I expect a good advice to avoid such undesitable manners.

Soonthon L.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Matter of negotiation May 17, 2003

Hi Soonthon,

Quote:

I expect a good advice to avoid such undesitable manners.

Simply negotiate payment terms beforehand. If you did that, and the customer still paid by cheque, you know which one to avoid in future...

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bank charges for Eurocheques

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »