Thread poster: Claire Dodé
Claire Dodé
Claire Dodé  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:26
German to French
Sep 12, 2014

Hello,

I have a project with english and german documents.

Usually, I open one project per client, so I allways find my settings for that specifical client back.

I don't wish to open one project for the german documents and one projects for the english ones.

How can I do it ? I have memoQ 2013 R2. So when I import the english document in my german-french project, I won't have any acces to my other english-french TM and TB.

Thanks.<
... See more
Hello,

I have a project with english and german documents.

Usually, I open one project per client, so I allways find my settings for that specifical client back.

I don't wish to open one project for the german documents and one projects for the english ones.

How can I do it ? I have memoQ 2013 R2. So when I import the english document in my german-french project, I won't have any acces to my other english-french TM and TB.

Thanks.

Claire
Collapse

Profdoc
Profdoc
Swedish to English
TB's can be multilingual, TM's can be sorted out too. Sep 12, 2014

Hi Claire,

TB's can be multi-lingual. Click "Properties" for the TB and tick the desired languages in the area on the right.

As for TM's, they don't necessarily have to contain text in the specified languages. If I understand you correctly, you want to translate from two languages, German and English, to French using a German-French project. I suggest the following (it may look tricky but it's actually just done in a lot of steps):

1. Open
... See more
Hi Claire,

TB's can be multi-lingual. Click "Properties" for the TB and tick the desired languages in the area on the right.

As for TM's, they don't necessarily have to contain text in the specified languages. If I understand you correctly, you want to translate from two languages, German and English, to French using a German-French project. I suggest the following (it may look tricky but it's actually just done in a lot of steps):

1. Open an English-French project and select the English-French TM you want to use.

2. Click the "Export to TMX" link in Project home > Translation memories to create an export file with the contents of the selected TM.

3. Close the English-French project.

4. Create a new German-French project. This will contain both English and German source texts. You can of course use an existing German-French project, but it's probably a good idea to create a new one.

5. Create a new German-French TM but call it e.g. "English AND German to French". Use it as primary TM for the project. It will eventually contain source text in both German and English. Technically, memoQ will treat all English source text as German but this should not affect your work.

6. Create a yet another German-French TM but call it e.g. "English AS German to French".

7. Import the English-French TMX to the TM by clicking the "Import from TMX/CSV" link. Select English as source language. MemoQ will now import the English text into the German source text fields in the TM. (French should automatically be selected as target language.)

8. When the import is complete you will have a TM containing English source text and French target text. However, memoQ will treat it as a German-French TM which can be used in a German-French project. Tick it to be included in the project but do not set it as Primary.

9. Tick the other German-French TM's you want to include in the project but do not set any of them as Primary.

10. Import documents and start translating.

MemoQ will use translations in the "English AS German to French" TM and the selected old German-French TM's. New translations, from both English and German, will be saved in the "English AND German to French" TM (but you already know this of course).

Good luck!

[Edited at 2014-09-12 09:13 GMT]
Collapse

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
A little thank you? Sep 16, 2014

won't hurt, will it?

Claire Dodé
Claire Dodé  Identity Verified
France
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 16, 2014

I hadn't seen / had forgotten that I became an answer here.
I also asked on the french memoQ-Forum (and became the same kinds of answers : no multilingual tm).

Have a nice day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

project with two source languages

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »