Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Poll: What was your first translation project about?
Автор темы: ProZ.com Staff
Liviu Ionescu
Liviu Ionescu
Румыния
Local time: 16:02
английский => румынский
+ ...
Technical Mar 4, 2016

Almost 50 years ago, two documentary movies about the reflective plates used to mark the highways in England and about the collapse of the Tacoma bridge.

Ragland Inbaraj
Ragland Inbaraj  Identity Verified
Индия
Local time: 18:32
английский => тамильский
+ ...
CAT Project Mar 4, 2016

It was for Applied languages (Now Capita) on CAT - Caterpillar for around 13k words. Thanks to then PM Rehan Tufail.

Darrel Knutson
Darrel Knutson  Identity Verified
Германия
Local time: 15:02
Член ProZ.com c 2010
немецкий => английский
A keynote speech Mar 4, 2016

My first translation was the keynote speech for a computer convention held in Florida in the early ‘90s. It was faxed to me. My translation was delivered by a courier service on a floppy disk. Ah, the good old days before the internet!

traidor
traidor
английский => португальский
+ ...
1979 - On Personal Power, a book by Carl Rogers Mar 4, 2016

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What was you first translation project about?".

This poll was originally submitted by samah A. fattah. View the poll results »

Evdoxia Renta
Evdoxia Renta
Великобритания
Local time: 14:02
английский => греческий (новогреческий)
+ ...
The theory of dreams Mar 4, 2016

The theory of dreams by Sigmund Freund:)

JANOS SAMU
JANOS SAMU  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 06:02
Член ProZ.com c 2003
английский => zzz другие языки zzz
+ ...
First paid translation in prison Mar 4, 2016

It was in 1966 in Hungary, in the Budapest X Kozma u. prison where I served my sentence as a political prisoner. My cellmates were teachers, priests, journalists and we all had to work in the prison's translation office doing the translations by hand and the editor and proofreader (who were also political prisoners) corrected them with a red pen. Then the translation was given to a typist (also political prisoners) who worked on a manual typewriter. There were 17 translators and a typist all in ... See more
It was in 1966 in Hungary, in the Budapest X Kozma u. prison where I served my sentence as a political prisoner. My cellmates were teachers, priests, journalists and we all had to work in the prison's translation office doing the translations by hand and the editor and proofreader (who were also political prisoners) corrected them with a red pen. Then the translation was given to a typist (also political prisoners) who worked on a manual typewriter. There were 17 translators and a typist all in the same room.

My first assignment was the translation of a 16 page pamphlet titled Straferziehungskindergärten in der DDR from German into Hungarian. The translation was for the Penal Administration Center of Hungary. Even if we had dictionaries, the subject was difficult for me and even if I spoke the language, I did not have professional translation experience so when it came back from the editor it was the Red Sea. It hurt my pride so much that at age 22 I cried like a little kid. But my editor was a very patient Catholic priest, who recognized my talent of languages and wanted to help me. He explained what the small and the bigger errors were. The biggest problem was that I translated the text literally. He encouraged me to ask him whenever in doubt and this is what I did. I learnt a lot from him and my next translation was a book from Russian into Hungarian. The title of the book was: Охота на бекасов и тетеревов в Сибири. This turned out to be much better.

By law even the inmates had to be paid and we were paid by the hour: 40 fillérs per hour, which was at the 1966 exchange rate US$0.015 that is one and a half cents per hour. I spent 4 days on the translation of the German booklet, so I earned 48 cents in 4 days.

After I served my sentence I started freelancing and two years later I became staff translator at a research institute. Since then I made my living by doing translations and interpretation until I retired last year, but still doing translations and editing in my area of interest.
Collapse

staminax
staminax
испанский => английский
My first translation project Mar 4, 2016

My first paid translation was an architect,s final project : the refurbishing of a train station with lots of vocabulary like hydraulic tiles, concrete, etc etc

Octinur Alam
Octinur Alam  Identity Verified
Индонезия
Local time: 20:02
Член ProZ.com c 2023
английский => индонезийский
+ ...
My First Translation Work Mar 5, 2016

That was long ago - back in my last year of High School, or 1st/2nd year of College? 1995-1997 - just about 20 years! Oh my!

That was from mum, who worked as a secretary in a subsidiary of Heineken here in Jakarta. It was a newsletter for the office. Then manuals. It was fun!

Those were all paying jobs, and mum took me and my brother and sister out to dinner whenever I completed the job and she got the payment. The money I earned was used to take us out and to add
... See more
That was long ago - back in my last year of High School, or 1st/2nd year of College? 1995-1997 - just about 20 years! Oh my!

That was from mum, who worked as a secretary in a subsidiary of Heineken here in Jakarta. It was a newsletter for the office. Then manuals. It was fun!

Those were all paying jobs, and mum took me and my brother and sister out to dinner whenever I completed the job and she got the payment. The money I earned was used to take us out and to add to our tuition and daily groceries, so yea I'm pretty proud of myself. xD
Collapse

Vaman Kale
Vaman Kale  Identity Verified
Индия
Local time: 18:32
немецкий => английский
+ ...
An old Mercedes car manual Mar 5, 2016

It was the technical manual for an old Mercedes car (1950 or so). I wrote out the translation by hand, using a thick Hermann-De Vries tech dictionary, made whatever corrections, then typed it out on a typewriter, even making tables using the TAB key. This was in 1981, so no computers. I got Rs. 7500 for that job, which was thrice my last salary drawn at the company which I had quit to start as a freelancer.

Nicola Thayil
Nicola Thayil  Identity Verified
Австралия
Local time: 23:02
Член ProZ.com c 2012
французский => английский
Training manual Mar 5, 2016

A training manual for McDonalds with a glossary and I didn't have a CAT tool!

Horvath-MAttila
Horvath-MAttila
французский => венгерский
Poll: What was you first translation project about? Mar 5, 2016

My first translation ? That's a difficult one... When I was 9 years old, our parents demanded from me and my brother to say one sentence in the language(s) of the country we where going through. Nothing special, in Spain, Madrid "Tres tres naranjus por favor", in Rome "Prego uno gelato", and so on. After that till 1979 I had done nothing when the Cuban cultual attaché came to my hometown and then I had to do Spanish-Hungarian-Croatian-Bunjevci-Serbian simultaneous translation. I got my licence ... See more
My first translation ? That's a difficult one... When I was 9 years old, our parents demanded from me and my brother to say one sentence in the language(s) of the country we where going through. Nothing special, in Spain, Madrid "Tres tres naranjus por favor", in Rome "Prego uno gelato", and so on. After that till 1979 I had done nothing when the Cuban cultual attaché came to my hometown and then I had to do Spanish-Hungarian-Croatian-Bunjevci-Serbian simultaneous translation. I got my licence in September 1991, but from September 1988 I had to translations at the Belgrade Belgian Embassy in French, English, Arabic, Dutch and some 10-12 other languages on daily level. About any thematic the belgian diplomatic staff was interested in : TV programs from Hungarian and Serbian to Dutch, Slovenian law about female violation unto French and Dutch,...Collapse

Ann Hannigan Breen
Ann Hannigan Breen
Испания
испанский => английский
Hollywood Mar 5, 2016

It was translating sub-titles into Spanish for Hollywood. Seemed awfully smart and easy at the time. Lots of action movies and as I was paid by the minute, it was delightful.
But apparently I was good at it, cos I ended up doing The Simpsons and The West Wing. No-one but me knows how much they say per minute in the White House!
Now translating philosophy and architecture seems easy in comparison.

[Edited at 2016-03-05 20:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-05 20:08 GMT]

Elmachich
Elmachich  Identity Verified
Марокко
английский => французский
+ ...
A big technical operations manual Mar 6, 2016

A huge technical operations manual on how to make invisible military aircrafts... on security advice for the experts engineers and technicians handling the hazardous used materials, etc... it was internally published for the local and foreign people involved in the project.

I remember I was never left alone and if so, somebody will just come quickly to visit and ask about the development of the translation... My office was near the General Manager and an expert was made available wh
... See more
A huge technical operations manual on how to make invisible military aircrafts... on security advice for the experts engineers and technicians handling the hazardous used materials, etc... it was internally published for the local and foreign people involved in the project.

I remember I was never left alone and if so, somebody will just come quickly to visit and ask about the development of the translation... My office was near the General Manager and an expert was made available whenever I needed some technical explanations for my job.

The next big assignment was about a submarine device with no pilot on board ...
Collapse

chaplin
chaplin
Великобритания
английский => французский
+ ...
My first project was of a technical nature Mar 6, 2016

My first project was a manual about seat belts. I went to the local factory and it really helped to understand all the tests I had to translate after. It was hard as I did not have a computer at a time and had to go to a friend's house to do it. The keyboard was a qwerty which added to the challenge. I was used to a French one which is azerty.

Jenny Stillo
Jenny Stillo  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 07:02
испанский => английский
+ ...
The New York Times Style Magazine Mar 6, 2016

I was lucky to land a translation project for the NYT magazine! I had done translations before this one, but this one was in my AFE (after formal education) era. I have had many wonderful direct clients after that.

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What was your first translation project about?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »