صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Poll: What was your first translation project about?
ناشر الموضوع: ProZ.com Staff
Michal Pstr
Michal Pstr
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 14:42
أنجليزي إلى بولندي
+ ...
diplomatic correspondence Mar 7, 2016

I had turned 13 a week earlier, and was asked
by my parents to translate a letter from Polish
into Brazilian Portuguese.

It feels weird now to even imagine they
would've allowed a 13-year-old to do that kind
of serious thing.

Camila Rivera
Camila Rivera
الأرجنتين
Local time: 10:42
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
psychiatry papers Mar 7, 2016

I translated papers about Kraepelin's research on mental illness and his classification. It was fascinating!

Justin Mattos
Justin Mattos  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 09:42
عضو (2014)
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Supporting Doc for Claim Submitted to Settlement Prog Mar 7, 2016

It was a claimant narrative amongst the supporting documentation they submitted as part of a claim they filed to a settlement program on which I was working for a law firm. It was actually more of an accident as I was originally hired as a non-JD legal document reviewer.

jagauratauras
jagauratauras
أندونيسيا
Local time: 20:42
أنجليزي إلى أندونوسي
My first translation Mar 7, 2016

My first translation, I won't called translation but editing, was a book by Stephen E. Ambrose, Band of Brothers. The original translator translate the book word by word, literrally and not familiar with the topic and made the book not enjoyable to read

Ekneweer62
Ekneweer62
عربي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Technical Mar 7, 2016

Technical and Engineering Specifications for water supply system project in Bani walid Libya 1986 from English Into Arabic Language .

Sonya van Schalkwyk-Barrois
Sonya van Schalkwyk-Barrois
Local time: 15:42
هولندي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Can't remember the topic, but I remember wat I did with the cheque! Mar 7, 2016

It was a non-course assignment from my Translation professor, almost 30 years ago. I felt embarrassed to get paid for it, but he insisted that I respect my work and never do it for free. It wasn't much, but I used the money to buy a comprehensive recipe book that I use to this day, falling apart and with flour and egg stains on favourite pages

Ana Claudia Antunes
Ana Claudia Antunes
البرازيل
Local time: 10:42
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
My first project or work Mar 7, 2016

My first project was a translation of the book 1984 from George Orwell that I made almost thirty-two years ago, i.e. on the same year of the book title. It was for a work in class to the Translator and Interpreter Course at Mackenzie Institute where I later on graduated. And I received an A for that. For me it was a piece of cake because I loved the book. Anyway, my first paid project was the translation of another book from French into Portuguese (Magie) which I also loved. The funny thing is t... See more
My first project was a translation of the book 1984 from George Orwell that I made almost thirty-two years ago, i.e. on the same year of the book title. It was for a work in class to the Translator and Interpreter Course at Mackenzie Institute where I later on graduated. And I received an A for that. For me it was a piece of cake because I loved the book. Anyway, my first paid project was the translation of another book from French into Portuguese (Magie) which I also loved. The funny thing is that I was also a collaborator for that magazine and they hired me to illustrate their cover too (not as a model) but with an art cover. I was paid much less for the art I made, although I had to create a whole new idea, go figure. I learned in a hard way that as an artist I knew I wouldn´t get as much. Thus, keep translating is my motto ever since.

[Edited at 2016-03-07 14:01 GMT]
Collapse

Lanna Castellano
Lanna Castellano  Identity Verified
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Too naive to say "no" Mar 7, 2016

I was working as a "bilingual typist" in the London office of a printing machine manufacturer/exporter. It was my first job, and I earned £3 a week. My boss asked me to translate the brochure for a printer into French, German and Spanish. When I told him that my only language was French, he blithely said "well, you can take some money from petty cash and go out and buy a German and Spanish dictionary". I did the translations with all the self-confidence of a 19-year-old, but can imagine that th... See more
I was working as a "bilingual typist" in the London office of a printing machine manufacturer/exporter. It was my first job, and I earned £3 a week. My boss asked me to translate the brochure for a printer into French, German and Spanish. When I told him that my only language was French, he blithely said "well, you can take some money from petty cash and go out and buy a German and Spanish dictionary". I did the translations with all the self-confidence of a 19-year-old, but can imagine that the recipients are still laughing at the results.Collapse

dalilatm
dalilatm
المملكة المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى إسباني
News about USA Mar 7, 2016

My first translation project was a group of articles about USA.
I loved it.

Christopher Czepa
Christopher Czepa
ألمانيا
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
My unplanned tumble into translations Mar 8, 2016

Nine years ago I did my very first translation project as a freelancer. It was also a copywriting project; I had to translate a page with electionresults. To accompany them I wrote short descriptions for candidates and parties. My client liked the result and immediately contracted me for further projects. And that's how we got here ...

EwelinaSz
EwelinaSz
بولندي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Medicine! Mar 8, 2016

My first paid translation was a paper on cardiac surgery for somebody's diplomma, and the guy was just as stressed with his research as I was with my project. It was fun, though:) I wasn't even 20.

BJ PARK
BJ PARK  Identity Verified
كوريا الجنوبية
Local time: 22:42
أنجليزي إلى كوري
+ ...
Belgian companies news letter Mar 9, 2016

When I worked for KOTRA at Brussels, I translated the Belgian companies news letter weekly for Korean companies.

Albert Fischer (Dipl. Jur., LL.B., BDÜ)
Albert Fischer (Dipl. Jur., LL.B., BDÜ)  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Articles of Association Mar 9, 2016

My first job was from a fraudster who didn't pay me, I should have checked with Proz first. They were London-based Spaniards who figured on the Blue Board. The first job I got paid for (shortly thereafter) were articles of association and the client was an American provider based in Germany.

Sandra Jones
Sandra Jones  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Documentary on Jesse Owens Mar 10, 2016

I think I got extremely lucky - my first ever project was language consultation and the translation of material for subtitles for a documentary called "Jesse Owens" which ended up airing on PBS (pbs.org) and WON AN EMMY!!!!!
It inspired me to establish my freelance business and keep going

Andrée Goreux
Andrée Goreux  Identity Verified
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
First project ever Mar 10, 2016

My father had sveral letters in English to be translated into French and Spanish. That was 68 years ago, I was 12 at the time.
My payment was a lovely new dress plus love and kisses from Mom and Dad.

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What was your first translation project about?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »