Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Recommendations for best UK English spellchecker?
Thread poster: Paul Denlinger
Paul Denlinger
Paul Denlinger  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
Feb 7, 2016

I am looking for recommendations for the best third-party UK English spellchecker? Specifically, I need something which plugs into my CAT tools (SDL Trados Studio 2015, Wordfast Pro).

Thank you in advance.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:31
French to English
+ ...
MS Word? Feb 8, 2016

I must admit to only using a spellchecker as a backup to my own proofreading. However, I use MS Word's spellchecker and find it adequate. Words can be added to it when required and I think there's a way to delete words too. I installed FR-FR, EN-UK and EN-US language packs in MS Word, (but very rarely use EN-US and don't offer to translate into it).

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:31
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
workaround Feb 8, 2016

Paul Denlinger wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for the best third-party UK English spellchecker? Specifically, I need something which plugs into my CAT tools (SDL Trados Studio 2015, Wordfast Pro).

Thank you in advance.

I think your best option is to export your project from your CAT tool in the form of a bilingual table (.docx or .rtf), run MS Word's spelling and/or grammar checker on these, and then reimport them back into your CAT tool project.

By the way, doesn't SDL Studio 2015 already allow you to use MS Word's spelling checker directly? I thought they added this recently.

[Edited at 2016-02-08 11:36 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My God Feb 8, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:

Paul Denlinger wrote:

Thank you in advance.

I think your best option is to export your project from your CAT tool in the form of a bilingual table (.docx or .rtf), run MS Word's spelling and/or grammar checker on these, and then reimport them back into your CAT tool project.

By the way, doesn't SDL Studio 2015 already allow you to use MS Word's spelling checker directly? I thought they added this recently.

My God - is that what you have to do to run a simple spellcheck if you use a CAT tool?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No, Tom, it isn't. Feb 8, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

Paul Denlinger wrote:

Thank you in advance.

My God - is that what you have to do to run a simple spellcheck if you use a CAT tool?

They all have built-in spell-checkers these days. No grammar checkers yet though.

There are generally two types of spellcheckers in CAT tools these days:

(1) ones based on Hunspell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunspell )
(2) ones that connect directly to your MS Word spellchecker

The latter are sometimes a bit too slow to be used comfortably, e.g. as was the case in SDL Studio the last time I checked.

Since I currently translate everything in Felix (a Word-based CAT tool), I simply use the stuff built into Word, which is nice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
Here's a question especially for you:

spellchecker
spell checker
spell-checker

spellchecking
spell checking
spell-checking

???

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Spellchecker Feb 8, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:

spellchecker
spell checker
spell-checker

spellchecking
spell checking
spell-checking

???

Spellchecker. Never hyphenate English expressions like "weekend" "email" etc. I hope you already knew that, since you say you translate into English.

[Edited at 2016-02-08 12:18 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I do more than "say" that I translate into English. I actually do it too. Feb 8, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

spellchecker
spell checker
spell-checker

spellchecking
spell checking
spell-checking

???

Spellchecker. Never hyphenate English expressions like "weekend" "email" etc. I hope you already knew that, since you say you translate into English.

[Edited at 2016-02-08 12:18 GMT]

And don't worry, I don't hyphenate "weekend" or "email", that would be insane.

However, I don't think the matter is as simple as you might think. Microsoft, e.g., uses the term "spell checker" all over their websites*, but no "spellchecker". "Spellchecker" seems to be the most commonly used variant on UK websites. Hardly anyone uses spell-checker. Anyway, the reason I asked is that I think the term is still developing (unlike "weekend" and "email", which seem to have reached their final destinations, for the time being).

Edited to add:
I take that back. UK websites seem to be pretty much equally divided.

* "Just like with the spell checker, you can right-click the mistake to see more options. (In this case, the sentence might have been better off as a question instead of a sentence."
(https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Check-spelling-and-grammar-5890dfce-0903-4241-a933-a4043c6e326d )

"The Dictionary language list only appears if the spell checker does not recognize a word.
[…]
Click Close to close the spell checker, and then click Spelling again to start the spelling checker with the new dictionary language that you have selected." (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Check-spelling-and-grammar-in-a-different-language-487fc9ba-a1b4-4911-8fd4-1f5b3e1841f2 )

[Edited at 2016-02-08 12:47 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Feb 8, 2016

[Edited at 2016-02-08 12:38 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Seriously? (Again) Feb 8, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

That's a very low blow. Are you this obnoxious in real life too?

What you say is patently untrue anyway. There is no such rule. Maybe you are confusing English with German?

Christmastreegrower one word?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not nice Feb 8, 2016

Chris S wrote:

Are you this obnoxious in real life too?

I would never say anything like that to anyone.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sadly, you just did (with your ad hominem). Feb 8, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Are you this obnoxious in real life too?

But don't worry, I forgive you. I knew that I was dealing with a pedant and self-professed Master of the English Language when I asked the question.

And even though my darned last name keeps making people doubt my abilities in this wonderful language of ours, I assure you that I am just as entitled to label myself a "native speaker" as you are. Well, maybe a bit less so as I am bilingual, or used to be. Anyway, that's another story.

I think my point still stands though: spellchecker/spell checker/spell-checker is still on the move.

[Edited at 2016-02-08 12:56 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Be fair Feb 8, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
Not Nice

If you make make snide remarks in your posts you can hardly claim the moral high ground and complain when others take potshots at you in turn.

Let's all play nice. This is primarily a forum for professionals. Expressing strong opinions is one thing. Sniping at each other for no good reason is another thing again.

EDIT With regard to the OP's question, if you have a recent-ish copy of Microsoft Office (in my case Word 2013) you can use Word's spell checker from within Studio. That is probably the simplest way and it gives you a shared dictionary, which is useful. Also, if you're concerned about the consistency of formatting I find PerfectIt 3 useful, especially for longer documents.

Regards
Dan

[Edited at 2016-02-08 13:18 GMT]

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
Trados 2015 Spellcheck Feb 8, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:

I used the Trados 2015 spellcheck a couple of times (for German), but I find it quite annoying, it can't be the same as in Word.

I usually export most files anyway and proofread, edit and spellcheck them in Words etc.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
PerfectIt Feb 8, 2016

I don't think it's particularly expensive, but I bought it a long time ago.

I've never invested the time in taking advantage of the program's potential and it's actually just lying around somewhere on my computer, but if you're willing to invest the time and thought, this is probably a great tool. I do not think that it works in concert with any conventional CAT tools. (Although I could probably integrate it pretty effectively into my working process with Wordfast Classic, if I coul
... See more
I don't think it's particularly expensive, but I bought it a long time ago.

I've never invested the time in taking advantage of the program's potential and it's actually just lying around somewhere on my computer, but if you're willing to invest the time and thought, this is probably a great tool. I do not think that it works in concert with any conventional CAT tools. (Although I could probably integrate it pretty effectively into my working process with Wordfast Classic, if I could bring myself to invest the time and effort.)

The main problem with the MS spell-checker (I'm American and that's what Miriam-Webseter's says, so I suppose it's good enough for a forum discussion) is that it is generally very tolerant when it comes to issues like spell-checker & Co., and there are also a lot of quirks and limitations when it comes to customizing dictionaries. Together, those qualities make it pretty useless for a lot of tasks. PerfectIt is extremely flexible and powerful, but it is also a lot of work.
Collapse

Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
MS Word for Mac: spelling check inadequate Feb 9, 2016

For what it's worth.

I use Word (2011) for Mac and find its spelling check inadequate. The grammar check is woeful and worse than the earlier version, eg, it no longer finds double spaces. I've read somewhere that this poor performance is due to less attention being paid to MS Mac products.

There are very few spelling/grammar checks for Mac, but last week I was delighted to discover that Grammarly now has a Mac friendly, free app, but it is a basic version and cloud-bas
... See more
For what it's worth.

I use Word (2011) for Mac and find its spelling check inadequate. The grammar check is woeful and worse than the earlier version, eg, it no longer finds double spaces. I've read somewhere that this poor performance is due to less attention being paid to MS Mac products.

There are very few spelling/grammar checks for Mac, but last week I was delighted to discover that Grammarly now has a Mac friendly, free app, but it is a basic version and cloud-based. As far as I can make out, Grammarly cannot guarantee the total confidentiality that translation demands. Pity, as I like the pleasantly uncluttered interface and it is very easy to use. The complete version costs about 10€/month. Pricey, but the features sound very impressive.
https://www.grammarly.com/products

Then I found the Grammarian app (€48; one week free trial) and have tried it out on only one file. The interface is geeky (complicated and highly detailed) compared with the pared-down simplicity of Grammarly. In any case, it performed better than Word.
http://linguisoft.com

BTW, OED: spelling checker and spellchecker
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommendations for best UK English spellchecker?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »