Thread poster: Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:39
Member (2002)
English to German
Apr 22, 2016

Just wondering if there's an official Google dictionary, just like there's one from Microsoft, that includes all their terms in several languages.

Thanks in advance for any hints!

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 14:39
English to Finnish
+ ...
I hope not Apr 22, 2016

Once I looked up what "legal briefs" might be in Finnish. The unofficial Google translation was something like "judicial underware".

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:09
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
GTT Apr 22, 2016

Google translations use GTT which is an online CAT tool used by Google translators to do the translations. It integrates glossary and TM and search facilities. The glossaries are organized product-wise and can be searched individually.

However, the tool can only be accessed by designated Google translators and reviewers, so I don't think it is available anywhere online for general access.

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:39
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
Google translation tools available for anyone Apr 22, 2016

Hello,

Google translation tools are available to anyone with a google account. I tried the CAT tool and found the MT annoying while translating but not too bad for basic text.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
There is, but you can't get it Apr 22, 2016

Andy Lemminger wrote:
Just wondering if there's an official Google dictionary, just like there's one from Microsoft, that includes all their terms in several languages.

Balasubramaniam is right: they do have official terminology, and TMs of all their products of course, but you can only access it if you're an official translator on their team. Which is really stupid of them, because it forces all translators of other products to make their products sound like Microsoft.

Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:39
Member (2002)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
GTT Apr 22, 2016

Do these include their official terminology though or are they just another TM tool that I'm not interested in?

Tradetnet wrote:
Hello,
Google translation tools are available to anyone with a google account. I tried the CAT tool and found the MT annoying while translating but not too bad for basic text.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Probably the latter Apr 22, 2016

Andy Lemminger wrote:

Do these include their official terminology though or are they just another TM tool that I'm not interested in?

Tradetnet wrote:
Hello,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Official Google terminology

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »