Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What would be a good name for this new technique?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:23
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Today, I went to the ________ and bought some milk and eggs. Sep 13, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
...My English is pretty good, but I had never heard of a ‘cloze’, so I doubt the name would mean anything to most people.

Neither have I, but that goes for a lot of rather specific terminology. Igor specifically asked:

I call this new improvement "Sentence patterns" as suggested by a user but it would be interesting to know an alternative (or perhaps a standard) term for it.

and this cloze seems to be a standard term. Van Dale:

Michael Beijer wrote: I think we should probably see exactly what the feature does before naming it permanently.

I think the "what it does" is pretty clear. The "how" is less clear, and to me the "how useful is it" isn't clear at all. Not yet.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-09-12 23:31 GMT]

Indeed, cloze, or cloze test, is a standard term, but does it really mean the same thing as Igor's "sentence patterns" feature?

See e.g.:

"cloze test: A procedure in which a subject is asked to supply words that have been removed from a passage as a test of their ability to comprehend text." [Oxforddictionaries.com]

"A cloze test (also cloze deletion test) is an exercise, test, or assessment consisting of a portion of text with certain words removed (cloze text), where the participant is asked to replace the missing words. Cloze tests require the ability to understand context and vocabulary in order to identify the correct words or type of words that belong in the deleted passages of a text. This exercise is commonly administered for the assessment of native and second language learning and instruction.
The word cloze is derived from closure in Gestalt theory. The exercise was first described by W.L. Taylor in 1953.

Example[edit]
A language teacher may give the following passage to students:

Today, I went to the ________ and bought some milk and eggs. I knew it was going to rain, but I forgot to take my ________, and ended up getting wet on the way.

Students would then be required to fill in the blanks with words that would best complete the passage. Context in language and content terms is essential in most, if not all, cloze tests. The first blank is preceded by "the"; therefore, a noun, an adjective or an adverb must follow. However, a conjunction follows the blank; the sentence would not be grammatically correct if anything other than a noun were in the blank. The words "milk and eggs" are important for deciding which noun to put in the blank; "supermarket" is a possible answer; depending on the student, however, the first blank could be store, supermarket, shop, market, or grocer's while umbrella or raincoat fit the second." [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloze_test ]

It might work. Not really sure. However, I'm still not sure it would be a good idea to name it something most people will never have heard of, apart from a few English teachers.

Having said that, I actually don't mind strange names in software (I love ‘Total Recall’, e.g.), and so I think I’m starting to like it.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 01:23
English to Indonesian
+ ...
I don't Sep 13, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
I love ‘Total Recall’

It's wrong. It's the top-level menu item for the database. A database that can be searched manually and automatically. The strange thing is, that the automatic search is called "Recall" in the submenu. Now if the top-level name would have been "Recall," and the automatic extraction "Total Recall," it would have been more or less okay with me. After all, the automatic extraction is pretty total, and it's powerful enough to schwarzenegger it.

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:23
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I think I am finally starting to understand the new feature. Sep 14, 2015

I just translated the following repetitive phrases:

Door op ▼ te drukken licht CO2 Threshold op.
Pressing ▼will cause CO₂ Threshold to light up.

Door op ▼ te drukken licht Temperature op.
Pressing ▼ will cause Temperature to light up.

Door op ▼ te drukken licht Activation Time op.
Pressing ▼ will cause Activation Time to light up.

etc.

I think Igor's new feature would allow me to auto translat
... See more
I just translated the following repetitive phrases:

Door op ▼ te drukken licht CO2 Threshold op.
Pressing ▼will cause CO₂ Threshold to light up.

Door op ▼ te drukken licht Temperature op.
Pressing ▼ will cause Temperature to light up.

Door op ▼ te drukken licht Activation Time op.
Pressing ▼ will cause Activation Time to light up.

etc.

I think Igor's new feature would allow me to auto translate these, as the ‘sentence pattern’ is:

Pressing XXX will cause XXX to light up.

However, I'm actually not sure why AA doesn't already do so, as I have the following in my glossary:

▼ = ▼
Door op .+? te drukken licht .+? op = Pressing XXX will cause XXX to light up

-------------------------- •••
Incidentally, actually don't think that sentence pattern is such a bad thing to call this.

[Edited at 2015-09-14 20:25 GMT]
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 01:23
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Perfect cloze match Sep 15, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
I'm actually not sure why AA doesn't already do so,

That's what I think, and when I mentioned it to Igor, he answered that with sentence pattern we have "more control." And maybe that's what it is: AA will provide a fuzzy match, whereas sentence pattern offers you a perfect cloze match. The result may be the same, but the cloze match is more precise. More controlled.

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What would be a good name for this new technique?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »