A.Đapo
A.Đapo  Identity Verified
波斯尼亚黑塞哥维纳
Local time: 12:38
正式会员 (自2007)
English英语译成Serbo-Croat赛黑-克罗地亚语
+ ...
Oct 4, 2010

My students and I want to create a sort of play that would consist of several most romantic dialogs ever - films and literature.
Since I am more of a mystery fan myself I need your help.
What would be your favourite romantic dialog.
Thank you all for your help.

Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
德国
正式会员 (自2009)
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
Cute or dramatic? Oct 4, 2010

Are you looking for "dramatic-romantic" or "cute-romantic"?
Also, what kind of dialog do you have in mind? Most romantic dialogs in movies are romantic in context, but if you take them out of context, they might not be that great any longer.. or some of the subtext will be lost.

For example, take "When Harry Met Sally" - the clo
... See more
Are you looking for "dramatic-romantic" or "cute-romantic"?
Also, what kind of dialog do you have in mind? Most romantic dialogs in movies are romantic in context, but if you take them out of context, they might not be that great any longer.. or some of the subtext will be lost.

For example, take "When Harry Met Sally" - the closing scenes at New Year's Eve (http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/whenharrymesally.pdf, p. 134 ff. in the PDF). There's not much that could possibly top this romantic dialog and it's one of my favorites, but if you take it out of the movie, you probably won't get the same feeling.. (but Harry's monolog by itself would probably still work).

Is that what you're looking for?
Collapse

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
土耳其
Local time: 13:38
Turkish土耳其语译成English英语
+ ...
Temel and Fadime Oct 4, 2010

Temel (Boy) and Fadime (girl) from a small village went to a movie and the boy was telling romantic words to the girl :

in your eyes
the light the heat
in your eyes
I am complete
in your eyes
I see the doorway to a thousand churches
in your eyes
the resolution of all the fruitless searches
in your eyes
I see the light and the heat
in your eyes
oh, I want to be that complete
I want to touch the light
the he
... See more
Temel (Boy) and Fadime (girl) from a small village went to a movie and the boy was telling romantic words to the girl :

in your eyes
the light the heat
in your eyes
I am complete
in your eyes
I see the doorway to a thousand churches
in your eyes
the resolution of all the fruitless searches
in your eyes
I see the light and the heat
in your eyes
oh, I want to be that complete
I want to touch the light
the heat I see in your eyes

After the movie ended they went out and Fadime asked Temel :
What do you see in my eyes?

He looked for a while and said:

"Well, I see some crust round your eyes"

I guess it is both romantic and funny
Collapse

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 11:38
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
Shakespeare's sonnet 18 is pretty hard to beat Oct 4, 2010

Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And Summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And oft' is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd:
But thy eternal Summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shal
... See more
Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And Summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And oft' is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd:
But thy eternal Summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wanderest in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:

So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.
Collapse

Anna Rioland
Anna Rioland  Identity Verified
English英语译成Russian俄语
+ ...
Captain Frederic Wentworth's letter to Anne (from "Persuasion" by Jane Austen) Oct 4, 2010

It's not a dialogue, but a beautiful love letter:

"I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved
... See more
It's not a dialogue, but a beautiful love letter:

"I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in

F. W.

"I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father's house this evening or never."
Collapse

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
波兰
正式会员 (自2010)
English英语译成Polish波兰语
+ ...
my picks Oct 4, 2010

Hello Amra,
I understand that modern movies are welcome too. I'm also more into mystery than Romanticism, but still - some scenes/movies are so nice, romantic but not pathetic, that I can't resist, so here are my picks:
- "The Village" with Joaquin Phoenix; two scenes - 1) when Lucius (played by J.Phoenic) and Ivy are sitting on a doorstep in the night, the dialogue starting from Lucius saying: "How did you know I was here", Ivy "I saw you out the window" (she is blind) etc. etc. You
... See more
Hello Amra,
I understand that modern movies are welcome too. I'm also more into mystery than Romanticism, but still - some scenes/movies are so nice, romantic but not pathetic, that I can't resist, so here are my picks:
- "The Village" with Joaquin Phoenix; two scenes - 1) when Lucius (played by J.Phoenic) and Ivy are sitting on a doorstep in the night, the dialogue starting from Lucius saying: "How did you know I was here", Ivy "I saw you out the window" (she is blind) etc. etc. You have to see this scene and listen to Lucius' words.
2) When Ivy is waiting for Lucius at the door (the scene when they have to hide from "monsters". She is holding her hand out, waiting for the Lucius' hand, who is still outside. She is very scared but obviously she cannot hide without Lucius. And finally she got his hand. And we are all relieved.

- "Lost in translation" with Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray - the farewell scene (although we cannot here his words, meant only her, the scene is beautiful IMHO)

- "Joe Black" with Anthony Hopkins (whom I love) and Brad Pitt (whom I don't like too much) - the scene when Joe and Susan are leaving the cafeteria where they met for the first time; that very simple dialogue and that scene are beautiful IMHO.

- and the last but not least "The age of innocence" with my favorite, absolutely gorgeous Daniel Day-Lewis. The whole movie is full of romantic (but not pathetic) scenes. Just watch it.

good luck Ewa
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 03:38
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
纪念
Dating - The Noodle (English subtitles) Oct 4, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytLTSJxmMas

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
芬兰
Local time: 13:38
正式会员 (自2003)
Finnish芬兰语译成German德语
+ ...
Lauren Bacall and Bogart Oct 4, 2010

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.

(To have and have not)

But it seldom works with other actors.

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
英国
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
more Oct 4, 2010

The "scene in the rain" from Four Weddings and a Funeral

The "Frankly my dear, I don´t give a damn" scene in Gone wtih the Wind

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
墨西哥
Local time: 04:38
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
Song of Solomon Oct 4, 2010

http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/www/Bible/Song_of_Solomon.html

The best.

Werner Maurer
Werner Maurer  Identity Verified
加拿大
Local time: 03:38
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
Bogie, Bergman, Davis, Henreid, Roberts, Grant Oct 4, 2010

Shall we have a cigarette on it? from Now, Voyager

(P.S. I've long thought that someone should reword that line, or remake the entire movie for that matter, because it was such a great movie, but it seems to have fallen from grace, almost certainly because of the allusion to, and approval of, smoking in that scene and throughout)

Any number of scenes from Casablanca

The "Dahft Prick" scene from Notting Hill

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
西班牙
正式会员 (自2005)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Don Juan Tenorio Oct 5, 2010

The declaration scene between Don Juan and Inés after Don Juan has taken Inés from the convent. Unfortunately it could be long for amateurs. At least it is worth discussing.

You can find it in Spanish and English here, Part One, Act 4, Scene 3.

¡Ah! ¿No es cierto, ángel de amor,
que en esta apartada orilla
más pura la luna brilla
y se respira mej
... See more
The declaration scene between Don Juan and Inés after Don Juan has taken Inés from the convent. Unfortunately it could be long for amateurs. At least it is worth discussing.

You can find it in Spanish and English here, Part One, Act 4, Scene 3.

¡Ah! ¿No es cierto, ángel de amor,
que en esta apartada orilla
más pura la luna brilla
y se respira mejor?
Esta aura que vaga llena
de los sencillos olores
de las campesinas flores
que brota esa orilla amena;
esa agua limpia y serena
que atraviesa sin temor
la barca del pescador
que espera cantando al día,
¿no es cierto, paloma mía,
que están respirando amor?

There is NO Spaniard (at least from my age upwards) who does not get an intimate shiver down the spine with these verses.
Collapse

Sandra van Bijsterveld (X)
Sandra van Bijsterveld (X)  Identity Verified
荷兰
English英语译成Dutch荷兰语
+ ...
As good as it gets Oct 5, 2010

When reading your post, I immediately thought of this one from As good as it gets:

Melvin Udall: I've got a really great compliment for you, and it's true.

Carol Connelly: I'm so afraid you're about to say something awful.

Melvin Udall: Don't be pessimistic, it's not your style. Okay, here I go: Clearly, a mistake. I've got this, what - ailment? My doctor, a shrink that I used to go to all the time, he says that in fifty or sixty percent of the cases, a p
... See more
When reading your post, I immediately thought of this one from As good as it gets:

Melvin Udall: I've got a really great compliment for you, and it's true.

Carol Connelly: I'm so afraid you're about to say something awful.

Melvin Udall: Don't be pessimistic, it's not your style. Okay, here I go: Clearly, a mistake. I've got this, what - ailment? My doctor, a shrink that I used to go to all the time, he says that in fifty or sixty percent of the cases, a pill really helps. I *hate* pills, very dangerous thing, pills. Hate. I'm using the word "hate" here, about pills. Hate. My compliment is, that night when you came over and told me that you would never... well, you were there, you know what you said. Well, my compliment to you is, the next morning, I started taking the pills.

Carol Connelly: I don't quite get how that's a compliment for me.

Melvin Udall: You make me want to be a better man.

Carol Connelly: ...That's maybe the best compliment of my life.

Melvin Udall: Well, maybe I overshot a little, because I was aiming at just enough to keep you from walking out.
Collapse

A.Đapo
A.Đapo  Identity Verified
波斯尼亚黑塞哥维纳
正式会员 (自2007)
English英语译成Serbo-Croat赛黑-克罗地亚语
+ ...
主题发起人
Thank you all for the input Oct 6, 2010

The final choice is (students wishes and they are 15 and 16 years old)
Casablanca
Notting Hill
Gone with the Wind
Romeo and Juliet
Pride and Prejudice
And I will add one more on my own.
I will send you the link on you tube after the preformance
Now we have a month and a half to practice
Thank you all!!!!

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Italian意大利语译成English英语
+ ...
LA Story Oct 6, 2010

The scene where Steve Martin tells the love interest that if he could control the weather he'd stop her plane from taking off...

话题中的页数:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

本论坛的版主
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

most romantic dialogs - films and literature

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »