话题中的页数:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >
New golden stars to acknowledge long term membership ('Canceled')
论题张贴者: Enrique Cavalitto
Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
德国
Local time: 10:57
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
Shhh.... Mar 12, 2009

Finally, there are some bugs:

• The month of becoming a member does not seem to be taken into account properly. I could see members who joined ProZ.com in May and December 2005, and for whom "4 years" is displayed when the mouse is moved over the star.
  • Corporate members do not get the star, even if they are long-standing members (e.g., no start next to "Member (2002)").

I had hoped that this was a feature...

Best, Ralf

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
德国
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
Corporate vs. translator Mar 12, 2009

Ralf Lemster wrote:

• Corporate members do not get the star, even if they are long-standing members.
    [/list]
    Best, Ralf

• Perhaps corporate members are taken seriously?

Prawi
    Prawi  Identity Verified
    奥地利
    German德语译成Italian意大利语
    No, thanks Mar 12, 2009

No need for it

Paola

Charlie Bavington
    Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
    Local time: 09:57
    French法语译成English英语
    Poll? Mar 12, 2009

Seems to me that a site poll on the subject would be a good idea.....

Roberto Rey
    Roberto Rey  Identity Verified
    哥伦比亚
    Local time: 03:57
    正式会员 (自2007)
    Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
    + ...
    Proz or Conz Mar 12, 2009

Alicia Casal wrote:

I DO LIKE IT!

ALICIA

I don't, sincerely I think its ridiculous..what's next a smiley face? a two thumbs up, a red pulsating heart, a flower....lets leave these things to chats and little girls...

Erik Hansson
    Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
    德国
    Swedish瑞典语
    + ...
    No sheriff star for Platinum turned into Corporate members? Mar 12, 2009

Attila Piróth wrote:

Finally, there are some bugs:

• The month of becoming a member does not seem to be taken into account properly. I could see members who joined ProZ.com in May and December 2005, and for whom "4 years" is displayed when the mouse is moved over the star.
    • Corporate members do not get the star, even if they are long-standing members (e.g., no start next to "Member (2002)").

Kind regards,
    Attila

We are one of those members who were once a Platinum member (since 2002) but turned into Corporate member some years ago. So there won't be a sheriff star for us!

I fail to understand the advantage with all this stars, ribbons, badges etc. Does this really attract new clients? Do potential clients, not familiar with the site, understand this jungle of symbols?

Ivette Camargo López
    Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
    西班牙
    English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
    + ...
    What about people who have been merely registered for a long time? Mar 12, 2009

Hi,

I agree with all the others that think that this new feature is not really necessary and it may be confusing, even "classist".

I can understand that Proz.com has chosen a known/recent translation standard (the EN 15038) as a *reference* to recognize a translator's fulfillment of some minimum professional requirements (the PRO icon), but a star recognizing long-standing paying membership definitely sounds like a mere marketing scheme.

Furthermore, obviou
    ... See more
    Hi,

I agree with all the others that think that this new feature is not really necessary and it may be confusing, even "classist".

I can understand that Proz.com has chosen a known/recent translation standard (the EN 15038) as a *reference* to recognize a translator's fulfillment of some minimum professional requirements (the PRO icon), but a star recognizing long-standing paying membership definitely sounds like a mere marketing scheme.

Furthermore, obviously some people contribute/have contributed to the success/support of this website without necessarily having always (or ever) paid as members, so it also sounds rather discriminatory to recognize long-standing support of the website only in the case of those who pay.

Saluditos,

Ivette
    Collapse

Michele Johnson
    Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
    德国
    German德语译成English英语
    + ...
    Distraction measure? Mar 12, 2009

This seems like a classic distraction measure to me - look at the beautiful shiny things! - to draw attention away from stuff like the Google Analytics fiasco, obtrusive/offensive advertising, heavy-handed forum locking, massive moderator resignation, to say nothing of the multitude of unattended bu... See more
    This seems like a classic distraction measure to me - look at the beautiful shiny things! - to draw attention away from stuff like the Google Analytics fiasco, obtrusive/offensive advertising, heavy-handed forum locking, massive moderator resignation, to say nothing of the multitude of unattended bugs/suggestions that need processing, e.g. http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions-13.html

This just seems so out of touch with users - I mean, stars? What? You actually wasted programmers' time with this? Honestly, the combination of these things makes me reconsider my upcoming membership renewal. But I had better hurry and send this off before the thread is locked.
    Collapse

QUOI
    QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese汉语译成English英语
    + ...
    participants vs financial members Mar 12, 2009

when these non-paying users have decided to acutally fork out some cold hard cash, they will be given a star... after a year or so.

R.

ICL wrote:

Hi,

Furthermore, obviously some people contribute/have contributed to the success/support of this website without necessarily having always (or ever) paid as members, so it also sounds rather discriminatory to recognize long-standing support of the website only in the case of those who pay.

Saluditos,

Ivette

[Edited at 2009-03-12 13:30 GMT]

Paola Dentifrigi
    Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
    意大利
    正式会员 (自2003)
    English英语译成Italian意大利语
    + ...
    All things considered, this is my answer as well Mar 12, 2009

Michele Johnson wrote:

This seems like a classic distraction measure to me - look at the beautiful shiny things! - to draw attention away from stuff like the Google Analytics fiasco, obtrusive/offensive advertising, heavy-handed forum locking, massive moderator resignation, to say nothing of the multitude of unattended bugs/suggestions that need processing, e.g. http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions-13.html

This just seems so out of touch with users - I mean, stars? What? You actually wasted programmers' time with this? Honestly, the combination of these things makes me reconsider my upcoming membership renewal. But I had better hurry and send this off before the thread is locked.

Thank you, Michele

Monika Coulson
    Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
    Local time: 02:57
    正式会员 (自2001)
    English英语译成Albanian阿尔巴尼亚语
    + ...
    SITE LOCALIZER
    "Member since ...." - Meaningful; Star - No Mar 12, 2009

The way I see it is that you are dividing people in two big pools/categories: Less than 3 yrs with the site and more than 3 yrs with the site. And then??? I personally do not see the reason behind it. What would be the difference between the ones who have been supporting the site for 3 years and a day and those who have been here for 8-9-10 yrs and so on? In three years, all of us who already are here today, will have a star. And then???

I would prefer to keep my "Member since ....
    ... See more
    The way I see it is that you are dividing people in two big pools/categories: Less than 3 yrs with the site and more than 3 yrs with the site. And then??? I personally do not see the reason behind it. What would be the difference between the ones who have been supporting the site for 3 years and a day and those who have been here for 8-9-10 yrs and so on? In three years, all of us who already are here today, will have a star. And then???

I would prefer to keep my "Member since ...." display instead.

Monika
    Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
    Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
    Italian意大利语译成English英语
    + ...
    GuruZ Mar 12, 2009

Monika Coulson wrote:

What would be the difference between the ones who have been supporting the site for 3 years and a day and those who have been here for 8-9-10 yrs and so on?

I propose a Guru icon for all the blokes clocking up 8 years or more:

and a WiZeWoman icon for us women:

Anne Brackenborough (X)
    Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
    德国
    German德语译成English英语
    cash Mar 12, 2009

Ray_S wrote:
    when these non-paying users have decided to acutally fork out some cold hard cash, they will be given a star... after a year or so.

You're probably right: this scheme could be an incentive to make non-members join up right this moment. Every minute you fail to pay up is another minute your profile looks dull and unimpressive.

How about a black mark for us translators who've been here more than 3 years without paying a penny? Or should that be a silver star for those of us who've loyally contributed our ideas to an institution in which we have no financial interest at all?

Eric Hahn (X)
    Eric Hahn (X)  Identity Verified
    法国
    French法语译成German德语
    + ...
    It's me ! Mar 12, 2009

[quote]Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

I propose a Guru icon for all the blokes clocking up 8 years or more:

Where did you find my photo ?

Vito Smolej
    Vito Smolej
    德国
    正式会员 (自2004)
    English英语译成Slovenian斯洛文尼亚语
    + ...
    SITE LOCALIZER
    It just takes time to get a star Mar 12, 2009

Like many others, I don't see a utility of this new feature, as it does not carry extra information. Moreover, it can be misleading, giving an impression of higher quality. It might also influence the decision of inexperienced outsourcers when looking for translators, which is probably unfortunate, as I don't know of any proven correlation between quality and long-standing membership (and even if there is one, I have serious doubts about whether such a correlation should be used in such a way).

[Edited at 2009-03-12 14:17 GMT]

话题中的页数:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New golden stars to acknowledge long term membership ('Canceled')

CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
    Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »