mireille aboumrad
mireille aboumrad  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 05:49
French法语译成English英语
+ ...
Jun 7, 2006

Hello,

here is my problem. I shared a large technical job with 2 other transaltors. I did my part, sent it to the customer, he asked me if I can proof the other 2 parts, I accepted, he sent the 3 of us an e-mail introducing us to each other. Up until now everything is fine.
The delivery deadline for the proofing job is in probably 8 hours. I e-mailed the customer 4 days ago asking when will I receive the texts from the other translators. No response. Last night I received the
... See more
Hello,

here is my problem. I shared a large technical job with 2 other transaltors. I did my part, sent it to the customer, he asked me if I can proof the other 2 parts, I accepted, he sent the 3 of us an e-mail introducing us to each other. Up until now everything is fine.
The delivery deadline for the proofing job is in probably 8 hours. I e-mailed the customer 4 days ago asking when will I receive the texts from the other translators. No response. Last night I received the first half of the job (10K), and an e-mail from the second translator telling me that "that thing is going very slow" (mind you she had a week to finish 9K) and by the way I am getting married this Saturday, and I have part of the translation, if you want I can send it to you. I forward it the message to the customer asking him what to do, no response, I respond to the translator: yes send waht you have. 3 hours later I get the "translation", I am not going to comment on it, it just needs "work".
I e-mailed the customer again, maybe 4 times, sent him IMs, no response. The translator announced to me that she does not have trados, after that I still haven't heard from her or the customer.

What can I do in this situation? am I responsible now for this job? the translator is obviously not thinking about the deadline or the work because she has better things to do and the customer? I don't know?

Any advice much appreciated
Mireille
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
德国
Local time: 11:49
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
Phone? Jun 7, 2006

Have you tried to phone the client to talk to him directly?

If you have tried to contact him and he is not responding, I would simply try it one last time by phone and/or by fax, explaining briefly what happend and that you cannot take on responsibility for the parts of the other translators, especially since this one translator has not kept the deadline and has better things to do.

Maybe there is a chance to extend the deadline, but do tell the client that you can't wo
... See more
Have you tried to phone the client to talk to him directly?

If you have tried to contact him and he is not responding, I would simply try it one last time by phone and/or by fax, explaining briefly what happend and that you cannot take on responsibility for the parts of the other translators, especially since this one translator has not kept the deadline and has better things to do.

Maybe there is a chance to extend the deadline, but do tell the client that you can't work miracles.

Hope it helps and good luck.

Sonja
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
西班牙
Local time: 11:49
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
notify the customer formally Jun 7, 2006

Not having the full facts as you have, my gut reaction would be to print all my mails to the customer and relevant exchanges with teh translators.

Then I would draft a letter refusing to accept the job or part of it given that it wasn't supplied to you within the time period agreed, and send all this information to the customer by fax or by registered post (if necessary you could email details of your communication first). This would protect you legally.

The tr
... See more
Not having the full facts as you have, my gut reaction would be to print all my mails to the customer and relevant exchanges with teh translators.

Then I would draft a letter refusing to accept the job or part of it given that it wasn't supplied to you within the time period agreed, and send all this information to the customer by fax or by registered post (if necessary you could email details of your communication first). This would protect you legally.

The translator(s) has/have behaved abominably to you, whatever about the client failing to respond to your mails (he may be away, assuming - innocently - that he's left the job in capable hands, and doesn't realise that you have been left down very badly).
Collapse

mireille aboumrad
美国
French法语译成English英语
+ ...
主题发起人
I tried calling Jun 7, 2006

I tried calling, no answer
Even if I wanted to, I cannot finish the work in the next few hours, because I simply don't have it and if I receive it, it will be too late. I am going to print copies of the e-mails and fax them to the client.
Mireille

Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 10:49
French法语译成English英语
Writing it down Jun 8, 2006

The other translator's attitude is highly unprofessional to say the least!

I think you should write a formal and detailed report of what has happened and send it to the agency by recorded delivery.

You are certainly not responsible for the other translator's behaviour.

Mary

mireille aboumrad
美国
French法语译成English英语
+ ...
主题发起人
Thank you for your comments Jun 8, 2006

The situation was resolved. I received the translation at 3 am this morning. The client called me and we discussed ways to solve the problem, he was actually very supportive. I juct finished the work and sent it back.
Now I can take care of my house and bills and dogs......and....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need advice on proofing job

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »